Disclosing undiagnosed Autism (& ADHD) at work

Hello everyone Blush
I’m looking for a bit of advice or moral support. I’m going into my 2nd year of my course/employment, but haven’t told any colleagues or employers that I’m currently waiting for assessments for an autism and ADHD diagnosis. Without the official diagnosis, I feel very anxious about talking to people about (very likely!) being autistic/having adhd. I think it feels more overwhelming because I almost have to explain myself and give my life story, rather than just disclosing a diagnosis. However, the nature of my course/job means we will now have teaching and placements in the area of neurodevelopmental conditions, and really want to be able to speak from a personal perspective. It’s my special interest area too, so I’m really passionate about speaking up during discussions! I’ve also struggled a lot through 1st year and would really like to be able to assert my needs better with supervisors.
I’m wondering what are others experiences of disclosing their neurodivergence with work, particularly those self-diagnosed/waiting for an official diagnosis? And any advice on how I go about broaching the subject with peers and/or supervisors?
TIA Blush

Parents
  • I'd say it depends, on the people you're working with and the workplace culture, as much as anything. It can be very difficult, if your workplace is unsupportive, so careful consideration is probably wise. As others have said, diagnosis will give you legal protection against discrimination. If you decide to disclose, you may get mixed reactions from your colleagues, not always hostile, necessarily.

I was hired with the disclosure that I consider myself autistic (awaiting assessment), so my colleagues knew from Day 1. In my case, being autistic was a plus, because of the work I am doing. All the same, I meet with a variety of attitudes, including - people with religious faith who consider me judged by God (I know...); people who avoid interacting with me; people who treat me as though I'm a child, or exotic animal; people who assume I have learning difficulties... there may be more. There are, thankfully, people who interact with me as simply another colleague, with friendliness and respect. 

I have not experienced open hostility so far, although there has been some covert mockery from people who don't believe in autism- sadly they are out there. 

Ultimately, whether to disclose will be your choice, there are pros and cons, either way. 

• I'd say it depends, on the people you're working with and the workplace culture, as much as anything. It can be very difficult, if your workplace is unsupportive, so careful consideration is probably wise. As others have said, diagnosis will give you legal protection against discrimination. If you decide to disclose, you may get mixed reactions from your colleagues, not always hostile, necessarily.

I was hired with the disclosure that I consider myself autistic (awaiting assessment), so my colleagues knew from Day 1. In my case, being autistic was a plus, because of the work I am doing. All the same, I meet with a variety of attitudes, including - people with religious faith who consider me judged by God (I know...); people who avoid interacting with me; people who treat me as though I'm a child, or exotic animal; people who assume I have learning difficulties... there may be more. There are, thankfully, people who interact with me as simply another colleague, with friendliness and respect. 

I have not experienced open hostility so far, although there has been some covert mockery from people who don't believe in autism- sadly they are out there. 

Ultimately, whether to disclose will be your choice, there are pros and cons, either way. 

Children
No Data