Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
    1. I have written to the doctor or sent an email on occasions. I find it easier than speaking. I feel better afterwards. I encourage everyone to do this if it helps x
  • If i am struggling and not coping, i have emailed or written to the doctor. If we find this form of communication better and less stressful then we should do it. Time for change Heart️ In the past on occasions i havent felt listened to. It has felt like the doctir has already made a decision on what is "wrong" . I rarely need to visit these days, there is nothing they can do x

• If i am struggling and not coping, i have emailed or written to the doctor. If we find this form of communication better and less stressful then we should do it. Time for change Heart️ In the past on occasions i havent felt listened to. It has felt like the doctir has already made a decision on what is "wrong" . I rarely need to visit these days, there is nothing they can do x

Children
  • I can relate. There is very little the doctor can do for most of my issues. I used to have really unrealistic expectations- first about my ibs and digestion and eating issues. And then hoping I could get some support when I had the autism diagnosis. It helps to know what you can and cannot expect from a GP. It's a shame there is not better support for improving quality of life. I think doctors are very good at saving lives in the immediate, but when it comes to long term health and well being and issues that can be managed with lifestyle changes, reducing stress and other strategies, then they are not very good. In their defence, GPs just don't have the time to properly address such issues. But there should be more services like that. My dietitian was invaluable but the university funded that and then later my family and I paid for sessions myself. I could never have gotten  to where I have now without regular support from her. I did reach out to NHS dietitians and they weren't bad but it just wasn't individualised at all and not enough contact time/ no option for regular sessions. I needed weekly, then once every 2 weeks.