Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • This is possibly a bipolar issue instead of an autism issue but immediately after diagnosing me as bipolar my local trust promptly closed my case giving me great difficulties in getting repeat prescriptions as at least two of the GPs in my local surgery told me to go back where I had been diagnosed. Fortunately the psychiatrist who diagnosed me gave me one repeat even though I was technically no longer his patient and one of the other GPS in my surgery knew the psychiatrist and was prepared to set up a repeat prescription for me.

• I’ve experienced discrimination due to a diagnosis too- in my case it was anorexia nervosa which was a misdiagnosis but it made me realise how much discrimination there is- i didn’t get physiotherapy referral for ages and whatever issue you have they tend to try and just blame it on diet alone. Not saying that isn’t a factor but it’s a very biased approach. I am so glad they rectified it on my records- recognising it as a misdiagnosis and removing it. 

• I’ve experienced discrimination due to a diagnosis too- in my case it was anorexia nervosa which was a misdiagnosis but it made me realise how much discrimination there is- i didn’t get physiotherapy referral for ages and whatever issue you have they tend to try and just blame it on diet alone. Not saying that isn’t a factor but it’s a very biased approach. I am so glad they rectified it on my records- recognising it as a misdiagnosis and removing it. 

Children