Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • How about services to help us access health care?

One issue is about adaptation and reasonable adjustment e.g. the dreaded telephone. But another is about support to get in there and through procedures. Some may have a loved one to step in here, many don't.

If you struggle even to cope through a face to face appointment or in a hospital environment and you are alone, what would you want by way of support, advocacy or mediation when you are there?

This meeting of course is about commissioning. What services do we want to see commissioned?

The reasonable adjustments are all doable within existing services if staff understand and are willing - that much is about training.

• How about services to help us access health care?

One issue is about adaptation and reasonable adjustment e.g. the dreaded telephone. But another is about support to get in there and through procedures. Some may have a loved one to step in here, many don't.

If you struggle even to cope through a face to face appointment or in a hospital environment and you are alone, what would you want by way of support, advocacy or mediation when you are there?

This meeting of course is about commissioning. What services do we want to see commissioned?

The reasonable adjustments are all doable within existing services if staff understand and are willing - that much is about training.

Children
No Data