Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • Hi Dawn 

Thanks for asking for our input! I hope your meeting goes well, good luck! 

I think there should be alternatives to using the phone in order to contact your GP surgery that are made available for everyone regardless of neurotype.

For example, text based web chat, video call or email. For a lot of us autistic people using the phone does not suit our communication style for a variety of reasons including situational mutism, fear of unexpected calls or vague communication.

Not only would this help our autistic community but also other people including:

• Non speaking apraxics 
    • Non speaking physically disabled people 
    • Stammerers 
    • Deaf community 
    • Situationally mute people 

Thanks Dawn! You are a great advocate for our autistic community!

• Hi Dawn 

Thanks for asking for our input! I hope your meeting goes well, good luck! 

I think there should be alternatives to using the phone in order to contact your GP surgery that are made available for everyone regardless of neurotype.

For example, text based web chat, video call or email. For a lot of us autistic people using the phone does not suit our communication style for a variety of reasons including situational mutism, fear of unexpected calls or vague communication.

Not only would this help our autistic community but also other people including:

• Non speaking apraxics 
    • Non speaking physically disabled people 
    • Stammerers 
    • Deaf community 
    • Situationally mute people 

Thanks Dawn! You are a great advocate for our autistic community!

Children
  • I'll second all of that. 

I do much better expressing what's wrong in writing.

And yes, they seem to have no consideration for the hearing impaired either and I would have thought their needs were more obvious than ours.

Both my elderly parents struggle to make the simplest things out on the phone. My mother, due to mini strokes, now has rather fragmentary speech and her nouns go walk about.

Yet it's been two years since a doctor has seen her face to face. She finishes every phone call none the wiser than before it and I'm sure the doctors aren't understanding what's wrong.

• For a lot of us autistic people using the phone does not suit our communication style for a variety of reasons

Yes - alternatives to a phone call, either to contact GP surgery, or be contacted by them, would be extremely helpful.