Struggles with ambiguity

I imagine this is a common one for autistics, but I think I've tended to downplay just how torturous it can be. Not knowing where someone's head is at but them not telling you, and you not feeling like you can ask because you're being difficult (and you've asked already).

I've had friends disappear for a while and I have dealt with it in different ways. Sometimes I'm able to just leave them alone for a while knowing that they're probably busy, while other times I cope quite badly and end up sending them far too many messages, which can make the situation worse. 

I feel guilty. While I'm hoping that the person is okay, I'm thinking "Is it because of me? Seemingly they're not comfortable talking to me and it's my fault". Even if someone turns around and says "I don't feel comfortable around you anymore", I'd much rather that than them not telling me, and unfortunately I often only find out after I ask them outright (which I also hate doing).

I do often forget that I'm autistic and my brain just doesn't work the same as a fully neurotypical person. I can't read minds and I can't pick up on these unwritten rules. I just don't know how to manage that because I feel like I'm coming across as a bit of a tosser if I ask for accommodations in that regard.

Parents
  • consider it this way.... neurotypicals perhaps mask but they do it differently, more socially.

they do it in a way in which when they hate you they cover that up and get close to you and pretend they like you, put on a display to seem as the likable good guy, get everyone liking them.... but they hate you, then when they have the chance they do some very spiteful hateful backstabbing things to you to try ruing your life.... this is society and what society is made from, this is how neurotypicals mask.... or perhaps, neurotypical is a lie, the neurotypical is actually sociopathic, as society is made for the sociopaths so in that regard sociopaths are the typical norm in a society right?

• I'm not sure what you mean exactly but I had the same issue with other autistic people. I guess it was simply a lack of communication.

Reply Children
No Data