Finally booked appointment to see GP about getting assessed for autism. Any tips or advice?

Hi 

I finally plucked up the courage to ask my doctors surgery for an appointment to refer me for an assessment. They put it down as routine appointment. It is in a month's time. 

The thing is I don't know what to say to my GP or questions they will ask me. I welcome any advice at this stage. 

Thanks 

Parents
  • Well done on taking the first step! I know it is scary. I personally did all of this via email with my GP because attending the doctors for me is quite stressful and also not convenient in my town.

My top tip would be to write down a list of statements of things you want to say/points you want to cover and also write down a list of questions you might have for the doctor. I often feel quite overwhelmed and anxious in GP appointments and that can make me forget important things that I wanted to say or ask, so the list is helpful. 

Maybe even ask if you could record the session on your phone so you have it to listen back to when you're back in the comfort of your home? I don't know if that is possible but it might be. 

GOOD LUCK :)

• Well done on taking the first step! I know it is scary. I personally did all of this via email with my GP because attending the doctors for me is quite stressful and also not convenient in my town.

My top tip would be to write down a list of statements of things you want to say/points you want to cover and also write down a list of questions you might have for the doctor. I often feel quite overwhelmed and anxious in GP appointments and that can make me forget important things that I wanted to say or ask, so the list is helpful. 

Maybe even ask if you could record the session on your phone so you have it to listen back to when you're back in the comfort of your home? I don't know if that is possible but it might be. 

GOOD LUCK :)

Children
No Data