Forced to travel

So it turns out the stress and anxiety induced by commuting into London for work is a major contributing factor to my Crohn's disease which I've had for over 10 years.

Since the pandemic started I've been working from home and my Crohn's has healed, drug free, for the most part. It's been quite incredible.

Now, as a freelancer, the 2 companies I work with predominantly, have decided that everyone must work on site again. They don't care if you are disabled or not, everyone must return to the office.

I've been a loyal and very hardworking freelancer for them for about 9/10 years, but this doesn't seem to impact on the situation.

For the first time in years I had a panic attack today and am continuing to feel hyper anxious at the idea of commuting back into London again. A round trip of 4+ hours.

I don't understand why, given the climate crisis we are in, plus the pivot to home working that was so successful, that companies are requiring staff to commute 100s of miles a week again?

Is it just me or is this irresponsible and ignorant? Especially to those with disabilities??

Parents
  • Hi JT 

I dod know how you feel. 

My work became 100% remote during the pandemic and I took the opportunity to move out of London. The logic, for me, being that 'we don't need to be shackled to an office any more!' I felt so free. The whole company felt so free. 

Over the years now they've started making certain days in-office days and encouraging people back, etc. It hasn't always gone well. People will come back when there is a reason (eg. a free lunch) but otherwise, people want to work from home. That's the end of the story. 

Now my company have made it mandatory for everyone to work 2 days from the office and for higher level employees, 3 days. At this point we're literally losing staff because they won't bend on this rule. 

The clear message is nobody wants to be in the office so forcing people back is bad for everyone. That's before you factor in mental health issues, disability, fatigue, travel problems, cost, etc. 

The whole thing is a nightmare. 

• It is.

Being that everyone is different I can't believe cmanies dotn give the option to staff.

At the same time firms talk about inclusivity, ND & NT minds, but then fail to identify variation in anything.

Feels like a Tory mandate to me, force people back and we the Tories will give you firm a tax break?

• I think you are being a bit paranoid. I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the Tories or any other political party.

Reply Children
No Data