Job interviews

I'm waiting for an assessment. I have a employment support worker for another mental health diagnosis. I unfortunately had to leave my job recently. I went for an interview, my first real interview and I noticed some silent moments during the interview. I wasn't sure when it was my turn to speak or what to say, they hadn't asked me a question they were just chatting about things. I didn't get the job even though I could easily have done it. Do you think it was because of how I came across in the interview? I'm over thinking the whole interview and repeating it over and over. What if I never get another job? 

Parents
  • It sounds like you did the right things in the interview with timings as the interviewer is the one controlling it and will ask if they want to know something, so go easy on yourself there.

Not getting the job doesn't mean that much - if they had another candidate who was better qualified, had more relevant experience, fely a better fit for the team etc then they could have been chosen over you - it is no reflection on you.

i've performed hundreds of interviews in my time and we often have fairly clear ideas of the "feel" for the candidate - it is largely about aptitude rather than technical knowledge for me.

I'm over thinking the whole interview and repeating it over and over.

Well stop. It is pointless after the first time and only will make you anxious. Learn to accept it happened and no amount of thinking will change a single thing. Use that energy to develop yourself instead.

What if I never get another job? 

If you are employable then you will get one. It can take a lot of perserverence but keep going and don't stop.

You may as well think "what if I never have a holiday again, what if I never find a friend again, what if Russia launches a nuclear war against us etc - all completely pointless to worry about as it will only debilitate you if you fixate on it.

Change the focus - think about how you are going to get that next interview, how will you are going to be more appealing to the employer, how you are going to polish your skills and techniques for the roles you go for and how to find out more about the employer who is offering you the next interview.

I've had times in my contracting career when I went from job to job without break and also times when I made over 300 applications before landing a role. Persistance and believing in yourself helps so much when it comes to interviews.

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now Slight smile

• It sounds like you did the right things in the interview with timings as the interviewer is the one controlling it and will ask if they want to know something, so go easy on yourself there.

Not getting the job doesn't mean that much - if they had another candidate who was better qualified, had more relevant experience, fely a better fit for the team etc then they could have been chosen over you - it is no reflection on you.

i've performed hundreds of interviews in my time and we often have fairly clear ideas of the "feel" for the candidate - it is largely about aptitude rather than technical knowledge for me.

I'm over thinking the whole interview and repeating it over and over.

Well stop. It is pointless after the first time and only will make you anxious. Learn to accept it happened and no amount of thinking will change a single thing. Use that energy to develop yourself instead.

What if I never get another job? 

If you are employable then you will get one. It can take a lot of perserverence but keep going and don't stop.

You may as well think "what if I never have a holiday again, what if I never find a friend again, what if Russia launches a nuclear war against us etc - all completely pointless to worry about as it will only debilitate you if you fixate on it.

Change the focus - think about how you are going to get that next interview, how will you are going to be more appealing to the employer, how you are going to polish your skills and techniques for the roles you go for and how to find out more about the employer who is offering you the next interview.

I've had times in my contracting career when I went from job to job without break and also times when I made over 300 applications before landing a role. Persistance and believing in yourself helps so much when it comes to interviews.

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now Slight smile

Children
No Data