Applying for a Blue Badge while waiting for a diagnosis?

Hello, everyone

So, I have been waiting for an autism diagnosis for nigh on 21 months now, and am likely to wait a further 15 months beyond this. I have been advised by the disability service at my intended university to apply for a Blue Badge, thus making me eligible for a parking permit to park on the premises so I can easily travel and return home in the case of upholding and maintaining my routines, ensuring stability within myself post-meltdown, and so I don't have to use public transport, which is difficult for me to use due to a gamut of sensory issues it causes.

Is it possible to simply apply for a Blue Badge - not even necessarily receiving one at this stage, just applying - while I'm on the waiting list for an ASD diagnosis?

• Thank you for your response; my assessment was through my local authority's self-referral service/panel, so my GP is not involved in this process, but I will look into Right to Choose Slight smile

And thank you for your guidance; I am very fortunate to already have a petrol car, and it is definitely better for me to use that, as being in complete control, both sensory-wise and in terms of the journey itself, makes me much more comfortable with travel Slight smile

• So, I have been waiting for an autism diagnosis for nigh on 21 months now, and am likely to wait a further 15 months beyond this

Have you asked your GP about the "right to choose" scheme? This can shorten the wait times drastically and is free.

I have been advised by the disability service at my intended university to apply for a Blue Badge

Do you have any other registered diability? It not then I don't think you qualify (I could be wrong).

I always found driving much more stressful than public transport due to variations in traffic, roadworks, weather, hoping there are available parking spaces etc, not to mention the maintenance of the car.

Sensory wise there is a need to be constantly alert in a car too with much higher risks if you loose focus due to anxiety - the risk is to other peoples lives mostly (or damaged cars / lamp posts etc) so it only really works if you are able to focus fully all the time in the car.

Do you plan a conventionally fuelled car or electric? Charging stresses are another factor to remember if you have an electric one, so I think a petrol one much more practical for you.

I would also check your insurance if you were diagnosed as it is classed as a disability. Having a blue badge would make it hard to claim it does not affect you so there is a risk of higher premiums.

I'm not doing this to put you off, just trying to make sure you have looked at it from all the angles and can avoid unexpected stressers when the time comes as these are not going to help you.

Good luck with the diagnosis, badge and uni.