Attention span

I am just wondering if it’s a common trait in autism to have a poor attention span.

I can’t watch tv or a film with out my iPad as I find it impossible to sit still and relax.

If I am getting a massage I can’t switch my brain off and I find it really hard to listen to people in a conversation and find myself interrupting people all the time.

Parents
  • Yes I think its an issue, but maybe its more personal to people as to where they struggle to maintain attention.

For example I can watch TV or movies, draw or play games with almost total immersion - my brain quietens down and I can blink and easily find 3-4 hours have passed.  But on other things I totally struggle to maintain attention, at school, or reading anything which I don't consider "stimulating".

Agree with the impulsive "message" element - when I'm speaking to people I often find it hard to not talk over them if I feel I have something relevant or important to say - almost like an excitement that I can't control.  I do wonder sometimes if it might be a symptom of ADHD and not just autism.

Do you find there are specific things which hold your attention really well?

• Yes I think its an issue, but maybe its more personal to people as to where they struggle to maintain attention.

For example I can watch TV or movies, draw or play games with almost total immersion - my brain quietens down and I can blink and easily find 3-4 hours have passed.  But on other things I totally struggle to maintain attention, at school, or reading anything which I don't consider "stimulating".

Agree with the impulsive "message" element - when I'm speaking to people I often find it hard to not talk over them if I feel I have something relevant or important to say - almost like an excitement that I can't control.  I do wonder sometimes if it might be a symptom of ADHD and not just autism.

Do you find there are specific things which hold your attention really well?

Children
No Data