Is this a shutdown?

Hi all, 

I'm a late diagnosed (46) autistic female and I'm currently having one of those days when I JUST CAN'T !   This happens after I have 'overspent'  - and by that I mean I had a had a busy weekend with lots of 'peopling' (ugh!) and kids party, lots of social things going on and and things that had to be done to prepare for those social things - and now, it is Monday and my productivity is at zero! I really mean zero.  I lay down on my office floor to breath earlier.   And that's what got me wondering - is this a meltdown / or shutdown ? Is this an autistic thing?  

It feels like I have overspent my energy, focus, ability and now I have nothing left.   Can't do anything.  Very low tolerance for noise also.   

This happens on a regular basis at varying degrees of severity  - I have thought of it as uneven productivity, but I wonder if it is more than that?   

Anyone else have something similar? 

Thanks in advance, 

Parents
  • I was at a conference years ago and a rabbi was speaking on the importance of Rest. And how culturally, this is a core axiom of being (for them). And of course any religion can take a concept too far, the intention behind it was one of nurturing the soul and a healthy guide for being human. 

I am of the belief that the golden rule isn't so much about doing to others as you would want done to yourself, but this idea that we create expectations by how we treat ourselves. We might never learn limits and boundaries from a world where boundaries are always crossed and limits are frowned upon (the sky is the limit). But then have to forge our own path of making healthy choices with what we have and learning how to care for the self, which then will change what we afford others. If this makes sense.

Nature has its own agenda - it will grow if you don't tend to it. Human nature is the same. There's a good deal of psychology on Neurotypical 'swarm-like' behaviour, mob-mentality or herd mentality. The murmuration of the masses. Groups just tend to go along with what everyone else is doing. And some go not noticing a thing until they end up in a hospital and they're only halted by biology.

I think that possibly because Autistics appear to need more time alone to regroup, we might tend to notice this out of control society before our NT peers might and potentially being more in-tune with environmental factors than social, stop before biology stops us. Thus the shut down.

The only thing for staying healthy, from what I've learned, is to take a day off once a week from all activity. Binge out, go for a walk, turn off the phone, check out. Regroup. 

• I was at a conference years ago and a rabbi was speaking on the importance of Rest. And how culturally, this is a core axiom of being (for them). And of course any religion can take a concept too far, the intention behind it was one of nurturing the soul and a healthy guide for being human. 

I am of the belief that the golden rule isn't so much about doing to others as you would want done to yourself, but this idea that we create expectations by how we treat ourselves. We might never learn limits and boundaries from a world where boundaries are always crossed and limits are frowned upon (the sky is the limit). But then have to forge our own path of making healthy choices with what we have and learning how to care for the self, which then will change what we afford others. If this makes sense.

Nature has its own agenda - it will grow if you don't tend to it. Human nature is the same. There's a good deal of psychology on Neurotypical 'swarm-like' behaviour, mob-mentality or herd mentality. The murmuration of the masses. Groups just tend to go along with what everyone else is doing. And some go not noticing a thing until they end up in a hospital and they're only halted by biology.

I think that possibly because Autistics appear to need more time alone to regroup, we might tend to notice this out of control society before our NT peers might and potentially being more in-tune with environmental factors than social, stop before biology stops us. Thus the shut down.

The only thing for staying healthy, from what I've learned, is to take a day off once a week from all activity. Binge out, go for a walk, turn off the phone, check out. Regroup. 

Children
No Data