Wanting to move out and be independent

I still live with my mum and dad but am wanting to be more independent and live in my own in my own place. I'm on benefits, according to my mental health team I can't work every time I've tried before I have a schizophrenic episode and it ruins everything for me.

But being on benefits confuses me. How am I going to pay rent and buy food? I don't really get how it works. Am I going to be able to live on my own? Where would I live?

I also worry about the autism and Schizophrenia in case I struggle to cope. I really want to make this work but I have no idea how to do it and if I'm even capable of it.

Parents
  • I hate to disappoint you but at the moment it is very difficult to find somewhere to rent let alone afford it on benefits although it can vary from one area to another. A lot of private landlords won’t or can’t rent to people on benefits. You would almost certainly need someone in work who was prepared to guarantee to pay your rent if for any reason you didn’t pay it. As someone else has suggested perhaps supported accommodation if you can get it would be the best first step. Good luck.

• I think a vulnerable disabled person would be priority for the local authority. Esp if they were homeless.

• Yes, but would he count as homeless?

Reply Children
No Data