Clinical Coding

Does anyone here have knowledge of this subject please? From what I can see after years of searching, there is no way of learning Clinical Coding without being employed in the field.  This is something I have struggled to engineering even though I have been on at least 3 appropriate interviews which were all for traineeships.  I am hitting 50 this year and feel as though I've tried so hard to self teach myself the bits of information that I can access, but all the courses I look at are all USA related and I don't want to teach myself the non-NHS way of doing this profession.

I am starting to feel like I have to pay privately for this education, even though there is no guarantee I will get a post with precious little experience.  I am also apprehensive of the amount of work I can see it entails, however, I am pretty sure that once I have mastered the core skills, I would really like this job.  Unfortunately, it the time it takes to learn - I cannot learn quick enough I don't think.  I know I will panic and run if I am put under a lot of pressure.  I don't have a diagnosis but I do show traits like needing time to process things.

When I first googled clinical coding, I thought I would be great at it as it seemed to be a fairly lonesome job and that is what I want - just a little contact with people to team build and let them know I am approachable just not for a long length of time.

Oh I do go on. apologies. I'm just wishing it would be easier...

best wishes all...

Jo

Parents
  • What is Clinical Coding?

Writing computer programming code for clinical applications, the codes doctors call out (code blue etc)? 

What sort of organisation would be employing you?

Is a detailed knowledge of the medicine / pathology undelying it important etc?

• What is Clinical Coding?

Writing computer programming code for clinical applications, the codes doctors call out (code blue etc)? 

What sort of organisation would be employing you?

Is a detailed knowledge of the medicine / pathology undelying it important etc?

Children
  • In the medical world, it is finding the correct code for a diagnosis and/or procedure.  You look on the medical notes to find diagnosis and intervention for the time spent in hospital.  There are books that you look the code up called ICD and OPCS and you use them to describe to the Government, so they can pay the appropriate coinage to the NHS.   In USA they use it to bill the people.  Here we use it to provide statistics.