Disability Confident Employers

Hi,  My daughter is 23, autistic and looking for work.  We have been applying to Disability Confident Employers with no luck.  Two days ago at her Universal Credit appointment we had a new member of staff who told us 'I'm surprised that you haven't even had an interview as Disability Confident Employers are bound by the agreement to at least interview 'disabled' applicants.  This was news to us.  Can someone tell me why she hasn't had an interview?  Are we doing something wrong?  Are we missing a step?  We never got the chance to discuss it with the job centre as we were interrupted but I will be asking next time.   Thank you 

• I applied for a job with a local NHS trust who according to all their publicity are a disability friendly employer and have a scheme which guarantees an interview for all suitably qualified candidates. I didn’t get an interview and I accept with the benefit of hindsight that I failed to demonstrate that I met one of the criteria (although I think they could have overlooked it if they had genuinely been following the spirit and not the letter of the scheme) When I queried it though I was told that I couldn’t possibly be disabled because I had managed to apply for the job. If that’s the attitude of people making hiring decisions on the ground it doesn’t really matter what the scheme says - if they don’t want to employ someone they will find a way not to employ them. (I eventually got a (partial) apology from the acting head of the trust but no interview although if the comment is typical of the way their staff think I don’t think I want to work there any longer anyway.) Fortunately I have substantial savings and am in the fortunate position of only having to work for someone who wants me to work for them and not to have to work otherwise but I sympathise for those just starting out.

• She is only applying for entry level roles in shops such as Tesco and so no requirements to met, and yes she always ticks the box 'do you consider yourself to have a disability.  I know it doesn't mean she will get a role but she's so low it would give her a glimmer of hope.  Thanks for the response. 

• Can someone tell me why she hasn't had an interview? 

I believe the candidate has to meet the minimum requirements to perform the role, so if your daughter lacks some of these skills then she may not make the initial cut of candidates.

It isn't clear if the roles have to be classified as suitable for the scheme or if it is an employer thing for all roles - I suspect the former which may explain why she has not received any 1st interviews.

There is also a check box on the applications for the roles for her disability - do you know if this was being checked?

I believe the scheme only ensures that you can get an interview, it does not give you any greater change of actually securing the role, but that isn't really the issue here.