Books on AuDHD in Women

Can anyone recommend any books on AuDHD in women? Or, failing that, on ADHD in women or AuDHD generally? My wife and I suspect she is AuDHD, but we have only an uncertain grasp of what that means for her. In some ways she's very like me (ASD), but in others very different and that can be hard to navigate. Obviously, some of the difference might be personality rather than diagnosis.

Parents Reply Children
  • I will post more tomorrow, still not feeling well from covid this week.

Oh ok sorry, I didn’t realise you were ill with Covid. Rest and I hope you feel better soon.

Odd Girl Out: An Autistic Woman in a Neurotypical World
    Book by Laura James
     Laura like so many young adults ended up in a mental health ward, it wasn’t until later in life at a hospital appointment that her life changed forever, she in the waiting room and had a meltdown, the nurse said.” Don’t work, we see quite a few autistic people.” The rest is history.

This book sounds great, it’s quite a common story for other autistics to need mental health support before they are autistic. Autistic identification helps to reframe everything.

• I did listen to 

Odd Girl Out: An Autistic Woman in a Neurotypical World
    Book by Laura James
     Laura like so many young adults ended up in a mental health ward, it wasn’t until later in life at a hospital appointment that her life changed forever, she in the waiting room and had a meltdown, the nurse said.” Don’t work, we see quite a few autistic people.” The rest is history.
    I will post more tomorrow, still not feeling well from covid this week.
  • Oh that’s ok, I was just trying to make conversation! No need to apologise!Smile

• Um, I didn't really have a favourite part, sorry!

• Hi Roy

Drama Queen was the first audiobook I listened to, it really confirmed my suspicions about myself

That’s why sharing autistic lived experience is so important, it leads to self discovery! I bet Sara Gibbs would be so happy to know that she has helped so many other autistics on their discovery journey.

I should actually listen to Sara Gibbs podcast, I just keep forgetting. You have given me repeated recommendations because of how brilliant it is!

so maybe another link to books on autism. 

I hope so! I have a huge reading list of autistic authored books and I have recently preordered 2.

My first book I have preordered is a memoir called Thumbsucker and the second one is A Day With No Words. I am really looking forward to reading them!

Are you reading/listening to any books currently, autistic authored or otherwise?

• Hi, Drama Queen was the first audiobook I listened to, it really confirmed my suspicions about myself. The podcasts are brilliant, all the interviews are with autistic authors so maybe another link to books on autism. 

• You are very welcome! That’s great, the book is obviously very important to you then.

What is your favourite part of the book Drama Queen?

I think Sara Gibbs is very funny, she also hosts her own podcast called Aut-Hour. I have not listened to it yet but it was recommended to me by others in this autistic community.