What help is there after being diagnosed

I'm on the waiting list for assessment, I'm 99% sure I'm autistic.

What help is there after diagnosis?

I've been told I need assessing by the mental health team as they suspect autism but they don't do assessments. 

Parents
  • Depends what you need help with.

The others are right.  The best help in investigating what autism means to you, is right here.  

Then, you may need practical help with some things.  There's not a great deal out there and it depends where you live.  There is a directory of services on this site, which might help.  For help with Mental Health...errr ... varying quality across the nation.  It depends how switched on your local service is.

For stuff like access to education, work, health care you might find you have Mind CASS in your area to sign post.  Sometimes they also run little courses for the newly diagnosed or those awaiting assessment.  It's worth and an enquiry now.  Or you might find something like the Well Being Hub we have in Warwickshire you can point you in the direction of practical support or other local autism charities.  PIP might be applicable to you.  But it's all hard work to get, if you can get it at all.

Don't give up before you've tried though.  Sorry, we are sounding a bit pessimistic.

I'd make a list of of the things you find though and then see what's in your area.

For a listening ear and the feeling you are so not alone with this, we're here.

• Depends what you need help with.

The others are right.  The best help in investigating what autism means to you, is right here.  

Then, you may need practical help with some things.  There's not a great deal out there and it depends where you live.  There is a directory of services on this site, which might help.  For help with Mental Health...errr ... varying quality across the nation.  It depends how switched on your local service is.

For stuff like access to education, work, health care you might find you have Mind CASS in your area to sign post.  Sometimes they also run little courses for the newly diagnosed or those awaiting assessment.  It's worth and an enquiry now.  Or you might find something like the Well Being Hub we have in Warwickshire you can point you in the direction of practical support or other local autism charities.  PIP might be applicable to you.  But it's all hard work to get, if you can get it at all.

Don't give up before you've tried though.  Sorry, we are sounding a bit pessimistic.

I'd make a list of of the things you find though and then see what's in your area.

For a listening ear and the feeling you are so not alone with this, we're here.

Children
No Data