Law

Hi,

I am considering a career in law, but am unsure whether I would be able to cope. I really struggle with social interactions in the work place. I don’t specifically want to be a lawyer, but more work in the field of intelligence. Has anyone had any experience in a similar job field and would be able to provide some feedback? I am also considering doing some shadowing to understand what job areas I may be interested in before going to university, but I am afraid of being overwhelmed. I would feel better if I was in therapy at the same time, however since I have been diagnosed recently with autism I am still waiting. Any advice? Thank you

• I can’t say too much for confidentiality reasons but I know three people who work as investigators for the General Medical Council. It is almost entirely office (or remote) based working on medical negligence and malpractice cases, there is no field work and no court appearances at the more junior levels. They had as far as I know Human Resources qualifications not law or legal ones. The work is interesting without much face to face work, most of it is done via email and telephone, there are frequent internal Teams meetings though. There is some stress around dealings with Drs who are the subjects of the investigations and rather complex interactions with the police. 

HTH

• Thank you for replying! I am still weighing up my options Relaxed

• Thank you for your reply! I have also been told similar things regarding me liking to follow rules and stuff 

• Thank you so much for your reply! I have looked at internships on these pages

• I myself haven't done anything to do with law but I know a few people who have. I've lived with people the past two years doing law degrees. 

From what I've heard, law could be a good route for autistic people because you have to follow rules, especially when say, interacting in a court room. You also have to be able to look at the detail of the law to work with/ around it. 

Could be worth a shot. I always thought law might be interesting myself. People have actually told me before in the past that I might have been a good lawyer had I gone down that route, and I think it's because of my autism.

• I once  went to a career talk by a lawyer who worked almost exclusively in contract law and he almost never went to court because almost 100% of his job was drafting contracts. However you said you wanted to get into intelligence? As in espionage and spying? Yes they do employ lawyers but not a lot of them. It would be far easier to get a job in intelligence as an analyst.

assuming you are a UK citizen and don’t have a difficult criminal record there might be quite a few routes into intelligence work for you. The recruitment process is a lot more open than it used to be and they do have undergraduate and graduate recruitment programs. Have you looked at their recruitment pages?

https://www.sis.gov.uk/explore-careers.html
    https://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/index.html

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers

• Hi.

I worked as a legal secretary when I was younger, then became an assistant (for 11 years).

I was offered the opportunity to study as a Legal Executive.

However, I didn't take that up because of social anxiety.

I basically couldn't face being face-to-face with clients.

So, I did a lot of the 'donkey' phone work as an assistant and was vastly underpaid.

My choice.  I had no idea at the time that I am autistic.

There are lots of areas of the law and you could avoid (crime etc) where you would need to regularly appear in court and speak to the public.

It's an interesting area of life to work in and I hope you get some positive suggestions here.

All the best!