Dealing with a meltdown guilt cycle.

Hello everyone. I have a something that I'm really struggling with, and I'm wondering if anyone have any ideas about what I can do.

When I have a full-on meltdown, it tends be be very all-consuming. My meltdowns usually consist of me shouting very hurtful and very pointed insults at the people I care about, and the meltdowns can often last multiple hours. This causes me a tremendous amount of guilt, as I am otherwise very averse to upsetting people.

Now, I have begun to observe that meltdowns can often be prolonged or worsened by the very guilt which results from them, creating a vicious cycle wherein I start having a meltdown, then at some point the meltdown ebbs enough for me to, theoretically, begin to calm down, only for the thought of 'look at what you have done, you have had another meltdown' to seize me, which then causes my emotions to spike up again, sending me back into full meltdown. 

Does anyone else find this happens? And if so, can you tell me how I might begin to deal with this?

Parents
  • Hello 4367,

Gosh, what ghastly meltdowns you're having. I don't think I've ever had one lasting as long as yours...... you must be utterly burnt-out afterwards, and with the guilt feelings to deal with too.

I'm afraid I can't really answer your question, but well done on identifying the vicious cycle; that is the most important first step, I am sure.  

I think you should now talk to a professional.

Ben

• Hello 4367,

Gosh, what ghastly meltdowns you're having. I don't think I've ever had one lasting as long as yours...... you must be utterly burnt-out afterwards, and with the guilt feelings to deal with too.

I'm afraid I can't really answer your question, but well done on identifying the vicious cycle; that is the most important first step, I am sure.  

I think you should now talk to a professional.

Ben

Children
No Data