PGCE and Teaching

I am about to start my pgce year through university. I’ve been asked whether I give permission for my university to pass on details of my diagnosis to my placement schools but I don’t know if I should. Obviously this shouldn’t be the way but I am so scared of facing adversity due to my diagnosis but equally I don’t want to deny support that may be available to me. Any advice?

Parents
  • I am a teacher and have been for a number of years now. I didn’t start my diagnostic process until I was in my second year of teaching. By the time I was in my seventh year I had received my diagnosis and felt able to disclose my struggles (as well as my strengths) and was able to, far too late in my opinion, get some reasonable adjustments put in place.

I could have done this sooner, but due to my own fixed mindset, I wanted to wait until I had received my diagnosis before initiating this conversation. It led to many years of silent struggles in the run up.

For me, disclosing ha/ been very helpful. I wish that I had the chance during the PGCE or earlier in my career, but I have made positive strides since doing so. I am taking part in a course soon in order to further my career and ‘up skill’ my self and, in this instance, I have opted to notify the facilitators and those involved in advance due to these experiences.

I don’t say any of this in an attempt to sway you one way or another, as it is a very personal decision. Rather, I had hoped to give you a snapshot of my time in teaching (a profession I love) and to potentially reassure you that there are other autistic teachers out there doing the job each and every day. 

I hope in some small way that my reply helps.

• I am a teacher and have been for a number of years now. I didn’t start my diagnostic process until I was in my second year of teaching. By the time I was in my seventh year I had received my diagnosis and felt able to disclose my struggles (as well as my strengths) and was able to, far too late in my opinion, get some reasonable adjustments put in place.

I could have done this sooner, but due to my own fixed mindset, I wanted to wait until I had received my diagnosis before initiating this conversation. It led to many years of silent struggles in the run up.

For me, disclosing ha/ been very helpful. I wish that I had the chance during the PGCE or earlier in my career, but I have made positive strides since doing so. I am taking part in a course soon in order to further my career and ‘up skill’ my self and, in this instance, I have opted to notify the facilitators and those involved in advance due to these experiences.

I don’t say any of this in an attempt to sway you one way or another, as it is a very personal decision. Rather, I had hoped to give you a snapshot of my time in teaching (a profession I love) and to potentially reassure you that there are other autistic teachers out there doing the job each and every day. 

I hope in some small way that my reply helps.

Children
No Data