Autism Friendly Leisure Activities

Newly officially diagnosed but suspected for a long time. Now comes the point where I actually could get help for my hidden disability but I would like to know which organisations that people visit for pleasure like galleries, museum, historic buildings etc are friendly towards autistic adults.  For example my experience in The National Trust has often been negative. I do not drive, the anxiety and thought processing is too overwhelming. I always travel with a rucksack so I can carry all of my the things for the whole day like, like food, medicines, phone charger, hairbrush yada yada yada. They don’t seem to appreciate any of this and only like car drivers with small handbags.  

Parents
  • Do you like being besides the water at all? I recently went on a nice walk along a towpath next to a canal and it was really peaceful. To be fair, I liked the quietness of it and it wasn’t the most sociable (which is what I was looking for) so this might not be for you. I also enjoy walking around a lake that is nearby for the same reasons. There is of course the option of speaking to boaters and passers by if you wish, as everyone seems friendly enough, but that part isn’t really for me!

The reason I ask about bodies of water is that I always find that there is something different to see in terms of plant and animal life in these sorts of places. It’s a nice place to think too.

Just an idea anyway.

• This works for me too, we have an abandoned canal walking distance from my home and it is calm, beautiful especially as it turns through the seasons, the sights and sounds really spot on for my unusual sensory perception and it’s rarely busy, usually just the odd fisher person and dog walkers. 

• This works for me too, we have an abandoned canal walking distance from my home and it is calm, beautiful especially as it turns through the seasons, the sights and sounds really spot on for my unusual sensory perception and it’s rarely busy, usually just the odd fisher person and dog walkers. 

Children
No Data