Abuse in a relationship

I'm not diagnosed- but I am confident I have autism which I've realised since my Mum died.

I've been in a relationship for 5 years. For most of the time we've been happy - I think. But my partner has a real challenge with every acknowledging my feelings. I feel I'm told what I should think or what I feel is wrong.

I've only become aware of emotional abuse and how autistic folk can be particularly prone to it. I really tried this evening with my partner to get an acknowledgement at least of what I felt when I suggested (half jokingly) to get married april of this yeat and it was totally ignored as if it wasn't said at all. And I could get nothing other than it was disrespectful to ask in that way. I said I accepted it was not the greatest way to ask - but pressed how he thought I felt when it wasn't acknowledged at all. And just got told it was disrespectful and somehow the conversation turned into a lecture of how I say bad stuff about my dad.

I don't want to over think  but I have this real overwhelming feeling that my partner is actually emotionally abusing me by constantly telling me what I'm feeling is wrong, putting me down and generally making me feel bad about myself more than he makes me feel good.

Sorry for rambling post but any advice?

Parents
  • I agree with Steven. You deserve to be treated better with respect. That's how a relationship should be. No one has any right to treat you the way your being treated, there's no excuse for that.

You deserve someone who will treat you with love and respect, not someone who uses you and treats you as their lesser.

• I agree with Steven. You deserve to be treated better with respect. That's how a relationship should be. No one has any right to treat you the way your being treated, there's no excuse for that.

You deserve someone who will treat you with love and respect, not someone who uses you and treats you as their lesser.

Children
No Data