Newly diagnosed with Asperger’s

I’m feeling a little bit overwhelmed right now just been diagnosed with Asperger’s and it’s all very scary and new to me as I’m 42 I also don’t know how to feel I just feel shocked but glad I’m now going to get the right support but I feel I need time to process this 

Parents
  • Welcome to the community.

Just one point regarding the terminology. Asperger's is no longer given as a diagnosis, due to the links between Hans Asperger and the Nazi regime. The term was removed from the DSM-5 in 2013, although you will probably still see it used quite a lot in older publications and by people who were diagnosed before the terms changed. Your diagnosis is likely to be Autism Spectrum Disorder or Condition.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/the-history-of-autism/asperger-syndrome

I was diagnosed a few years ago and it was overwhelming. It starts to make sense of everything that has never made sense before. Yes you definitely need time to process, I think I'm still processing mine even now. Oh and don't get your hopes up regarding any post diagnosis support. In many areas there is very little available for adults, if anything.

• Welcome to the community.

Just one point regarding the terminology. Asperger's is no longer given as a diagnosis, due to the links between Hans Asperger and the Nazi regime. The term was removed from the DSM-5 in 2013, although you will probably still see it used quite a lot in older publications and by people who were diagnosed before the terms changed. Your diagnosis is likely to be Autism Spectrum Disorder or Condition.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism/the-history-of-autism/asperger-syndrome

I was diagnosed a few years ago and it was overwhelming. It starts to make sense of everything that has never made sense before. Yes you definitely need time to process, I think I'm still processing mine even now. Oh and don't get your hopes up regarding any post diagnosis support. In many areas there is very little available for adults, if anything.

Children
  • I think the NHS is still using Asperger's as a diagnosis. At least, they gave it to me in 2021. I don't think they use DSM-5 for diagnosis. I also think the switch in terminology was as much because various disorders were brought under the umbrella heading of ASD as because of Asperger's Nazi links.