Getting diagnosed as an adult

Hi, this is my first post. 

How does anyone approach their GP about how to get diagnosed? I am only wondering because a few years ago while I was expecting a baby my midwife at the time reported me to social services for signs of me being autistic. At the time, I was frustrated and then as years went by I thought more about what the midwife said and thought she may be right. I did a few tests and they say I am very likely to be autistic. I would like to know for my own sake and peace of mind.

I just don't know how to approach the GP about it. Where I come from I don't see a regular GP/family GP who knows my medical history. I get really anxious to speak to someone and get really muddled. I want to find the right words when I finally pluck up the courage to speak to my GP just don't know what to say or how. Has anyone had experience of this?

Thanks

Parents
  • As my diagnosis was during covid times I did not see my GP face to face. I put together a long letter with evidence about how I felt I was Autistic, including screenshots of diangnostics tests I had done online. I also included some aspects of my history which I felt were linked to Autism.

I also included a section on freedom of choice and that I could be referred to a private diagnostic service via the NHS (this got me a referral VERY quickly).

I was then sent the official NHS tests for AD and ADHD, which I competed and sent back.

I had a referral to a private diagnostic service, provided by the NHS, and had a 1 hour interview via zoom with a psychologist. She then wrote her report for a psychiatrist, with whom I had a 1.5 hour zoom interview. He then wrote a report which confirmed the diagnosis of Autism.

Then the fun began of trying to get my work to recognise isses I;d been having were Autism related and make reasonable adjustments. Over a year on I;m still trying to get the reasonable adjustments which were agreed put in place - via a grievance and union support.

• As my diagnosis was during covid times I did not see my GP face to face. I put together a long letter with evidence about how I felt I was Autistic, including screenshots of diangnostics tests I had done online. I also included some aspects of my history which I felt were linked to Autism.

I also included a section on freedom of choice and that I could be referred to a private diagnostic service via the NHS (this got me a referral VERY quickly).

I was then sent the official NHS tests for AD and ADHD, which I competed and sent back.

I had a referral to a private diagnostic service, provided by the NHS, and had a 1 hour interview via zoom with a psychologist. She then wrote her report for a psychiatrist, with whom I had a 1.5 hour zoom interview. He then wrote a report which confirmed the diagnosis of Autism.

Then the fun began of trying to get my work to recognise isses I;d been having were Autism related and make reasonable adjustments. Over a year on I;m still trying to get the reasonable adjustments which were agreed put in place - via a grievance and union support.

Children
No Data