Languages

Has anyone got any advice about learning languages?

I've always loved France, French, and anything that pulls me back to my heritage which is part French.

But, try as I might, I'm terrible at speaking the language. I'm a full visual learner so I think this might be my issue?

Does anyone know a full proof way to learn a language without moving to the country?

Parents
  • Does anyone know a full proof way to learn a language without moving to the country?

Moving there does not mean you learn it more easily. I moved to Brazil for 3 years and still struggled using conventional book / tape learning.

As Pegg suggests, Duolingo worked well for me - at least up to a basic conversational level. After that it was a combination of immersion in the enviroment and regular revisits of the books that took it up a notch.

For me the issues are largely round the "rules" of the language which are often inconsistent and make trying to build the conversational responses in my head so difficult, but with practice I stopped doing this conciously and trusted my subconcious to do this for me.

There is also an app called iTalki which I use that lets you book sessions with a teacher (from a very large pool of teachers) to cover whatever subject matter you want. For me I had to manage a team of poorly educated building labourers at one stage and needed to understand a lot of the phrases they used (think "I wanna cuppa, innit" sort of level and the app enabled me to find someone who could work through this with me.

I pay about US$10 per lesson there but you get a range of prices depending on the teacher.

Good luck with the learning process.

• Does anyone know a full proof way to learn a language without moving to the country?

Moving there does not mean you learn it more easily. I moved to Brazil for 3 years and still struggled using conventional book / tape learning.

As Pegg suggests, Duolingo worked well for me - at least up to a basic conversational level. After that it was a combination of immersion in the enviroment and regular revisits of the books that took it up a notch.

For me the issues are largely round the "rules" of the language which are often inconsistent and make trying to build the conversational responses in my head so difficult, but with practice I stopped doing this conciously and trusted my subconcious to do this for me.

There is also an app called iTalki which I use that lets you book sessions with a teacher (from a very large pool of teachers) to cover whatever subject matter you want. For me I had to manage a team of poorly educated building labourers at one stage and needed to understand a lot of the phrases they used (think "I wanna cuppa, innit" sort of level and the app enabled me to find someone who could work through this with me.

I pay about US$10 per lesson there but you get a range of prices depending on the teacher.

Good luck with the learning process.

Children
No Data