Can't get help for a breakdown

I went to my doctor on Thursday and told him I'm not coping (mainly because of the loneliness); he says he can't phone support worker companies for me to help me get a support worker, despite the fact that that's exactly what I need. And apparently there's nothing else he can do.

If I can't get help from the NHS when I'm depressed, and social services won't give me a support worker, where am I supposed to get help from?!!

Parents
  • I’m sorry you’ve not received the help you need. We are always being told to ‘ask for help’ ‘go and talk to your gp’ - and yet when people find the courage to do that they often don’t get a helpful response. I’m really sorry because that’s not easy. I notice that below you mentions that you’ve been told you need 8 hours of support - so you have every right to that. I would email social services again, and I would copy in your local MP. 
    I also think that because of the lack of support then we often have to go the self help route. There’s a lot of material available online etc about help for all kinds of issues - including tackling loneliness. If you can do as much research as possible into the difficulties you are facing. It’s empowering to try and take control yourself and find good strategies that work for you. Plus groups like this can be great at finding out what has helped others - and just to know you’re not alone.

I know it’s hard but you will get through this difficult period and make progress, and you will probably learn a lot in the process. I’ve had a terrible couple of years but I am finally emerging from that and I’ve learnt a lot, and overall I think I’m a wiser person. 
    I wish you well, try not to lose hope - because things will change in time and in the meantime try and focus on the things in life that you still enjoy - however small. Have you read the book ‘The Power of Now’ by Eckhart Tolle? It might be interesting for you to read that (or the audiobook is good because his voice is very calming :) 

• I’m sorry you’ve not received the help you need. We are always being told to ‘ask for help’ ‘go and talk to your gp’ - and yet when people find the courage to do that they often don’t get a helpful response. I’m really sorry because that’s not easy. I notice that below you mentions that you’ve been told you need 8 hours of support - so you have every right to that. I would email social services again, and I would copy in your local MP. 
    I also think that because of the lack of support then we often have to go the self help route. There’s a lot of material available online etc about help for all kinds of issues - including tackling loneliness. If you can do as much research as possible into the difficulties you are facing. It’s empowering to try and take control yourself and find good strategies that work for you. Plus groups like this can be great at finding out what has helped others - and just to know you’re not alone.

I know it’s hard but you will get through this difficult period and make progress, and you will probably learn a lot in the process. I’ve had a terrible couple of years but I am finally emerging from that and I’ve learnt a lot, and overall I think I’m a wiser person. 
    I wish you well, try not to lose hope - because things will change in time and in the meantime try and focus on the things in life that you still enjoy - however small. Have you read the book ‘The Power of Now’ by Eckhart Tolle? It might be interesting for you to read that (or the audiobook is good because his voice is very calming :) 

Children