Red flags

"Red flags" or "gut instinct"

I've made a few bad mistakes due to ignoring "red flags" or "gut instinct" at times.

First case was at University - not going into details but I remember sensing loads of 'red flags' and instinctively feeling something was off - yet I ignored them. In this case I clammed up for about eight years and told no one what happened. I did eventually open up, and felt a lot of relief when I did.

The second case was a job interview - I felt drained afterwards - they appeared to grill me and I felt I'd failed the interview. Imagine my surprise when they offered me a job, which I took! I regretted it on my first day. I sat down, said hello to the person next to me, she proceeded to bite my head off! I lasted 10 months and moved on. Never worked anywhere like that before (or since) - everyone just seemed hostile!

So now I try to pay attention to how I'm feeling and it seems to work better. Sometimes helps with job interview - since I've had a long career (40+ years) I've gotten a lot of experience. I can sense when I've not got the job, and sometimes when I have (but I'm a bit negative and think I've failed). I've had quite a few interesting jobs over the years.

Parents
  • There have been occasions during my life when I've had gut feelings about things, which have proven to be spot on. However, there have also been occasions when my gut feelings have proven to be completely wrong. As a result, I can find it difficult to know if I should pay attention to my gut feelings, or to dismiss them and wait and see what happens.

• There have been occasions during my life when I've had gut feelings about things, which have proven to be spot on. However, there have also been occasions when my gut feelings have proven to be completely wrong. As a result, I can find it difficult to know if I should pay attention to my gut feelings, or to dismiss them and wait and see what happens.

Children
No Data