Advert / Autism awareness.

I watched this advert on Monday, it was on “prime time Tv .”  Very well made and shows some of the issues we face daily. My only gripe as an older person is it still shows that most autistic people are children or older teenagers. We aren’t Peter Pan, but it’s nice to see autistic people represented. This is the full recording, the advert was obviously shorter. The comfort hoodie Ash wears was designed by Christine McGuinness.

https://youtu.be/DLuqZn_FMSg

Parents
  • Thank you for sharing the link to the advert Roy.

When I first saw that advert on TV, it immediately grabbed my attention.

Although it was just a brief glimpse into how Autism can affect some of us, I felt it was quite powerful and got the point across. As a female, it probably won't surprise anyone to know that I liked the information at the end, stating that autistic females are 3 times less likely than boys to receive a diagnosis.

However, I do share your gripe Roy. As an autistic adult, it would be great to see us adults being represented more, rather than the focus seeming to be on children and adolescents. 

• As an autistic adult, it would be great to see us adults being represented more,

There are TV shows like Atypical, The Good Doctor and Extraordinary Attorney Woo that do a reasonable job of representing aspects of autism to the public in an entertainment setting.

Given that we are all different it will be hard to find a character that represents more than a fraction of a percent of us so we have a real difficulty in getting across the complexities and subtleties of our issues to a wider audience.

• I appreciate what you're saying Iain, but I just think it would be great if there was more out there representing autistic adults aimed at mainstream NT audiences. Things are definitely going in the right direction, but I think there is still a belief in some parts of the NT world that automatically assumes we're all the Rainman stereotype. 

• I appreciate what you're saying Iain, but I just think it would be great if there was more out there representing autistic adults aimed at mainstream NT audiences. Things are definitely going in the right direction, but I think there is still a belief in some parts of the NT world that automatically assumes we're all the Rainman stereotype. 

Children
No Data