Not understanding the differences between humour and person being serious. Then overreacting

Hi 

I get really confused with what is suppose to be a joke or when someone being serious.  This has happen on many occasions in my life and I have ended up overreacting and this often coming out in emails and then hours later regret it simply because I misunderstood.  I have end up upsetting people. Its like don't think and I obsess on the littlest of things a person has said and later realize I was in the wrong. 

Has one else experience this?  I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I feel I am lost translations sometimes.   

Parents
  • I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I feel I am lost translations sometimes.   

Been there and developed a habit of simply not replying unless I'm certain it is serious.

There are 2 approaches to this I think:

1 - do as I do and assume it isn't serious unless you are sure. Maybe write back and ask them if they are being serious before escallating.

2 - reply with "I don't know if you are being serious here, but as you are an adult I'll assume you are.". Then continue as normal and if they respond saying "I was only kidding" then tell them it was immature and unprofessional and that covers your back professionally but maybe not socially.

• I was wondering if anyone has any advice as I feel I am lost translations sometimes.   

Been there and developed a habit of simply not replying unless I'm certain it is serious.

There are 2 approaches to this I think:

1 - do as I do and assume it isn't serious unless you are sure. Maybe write back and ask them if they are being serious before escallating.

2 - reply with "I don't know if you are being serious here, but as you are an adult I'll assume you are.". Then continue as normal and if they respond saying "I was only kidding" then tell them it was immature and unprofessional and that covers your back professionally but maybe not socially.

Children