Answering Questions without preparation

Does anyone else gets thrown by questions?

Examples for me are, having to come up with something on a course, especially that thing they do sometimes where everyone has to introduce themselves.

Interviews are difficult because I can never think of examples on the spot.

I even was thrown recently when asked in a situation when asked what my favourite song was.

These kind of things make me panic that I have to think of something quickly.

Parents
  • I find that it can very much depend upon the situation... What is the question being asked, who is asking, and are they someone I know, like, or feel comfortable with?

In a formal setting, I am far more likely to struggle. In a relaxed setting with people who know me well, I may get thrown, but I'm far more likely to make light of it and respond with something along the lines of, "Trust you to ask me a question like that!" This will be said in a friendly, lighthearted tone of voice, with a twinkle in my eye and a smile on my face.

Some questions, even the most simple of questions can be enough to throw me. I too would probably struggle to name my favourite song, as what might be a favourite song one day, could be something completely different another day. 

• I find that it can very much depend upon the situation... What is the question being asked, who is asking, and are they someone I know, like, or feel comfortable with?

In a formal setting, I am far more likely to struggle. In a relaxed setting with people who know me well, I may get thrown, but I'm far more likely to make light of it and respond with something along the lines of, "Trust you to ask me a question like that!" This will be said in a friendly, lighthearted tone of voice, with a twinkle in my eye and a smile on my face.

Some questions, even the most simple of questions can be enough to throw me. I too would probably struggle to name my favourite song, as what might be a favourite song one day, could be something completely different another day. 

Children
  • Yes that is true, the setting does make a lot of difference. Another thing I find hard sometimes is naming something common, especially difficult in a work situation. It will come in the end but not always at the time I needed it. 

• I don't mean to make fun of you at all Sparkly but your reply made me wonder what would happen if in a job interview you actually replied with "Trust you to ask me a question like that.", also said in a friendly, light-hearted tone of voice with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face. Wouldn't that be hilarious? I'm half tempted to apply for another job just to try it. Laughing