Newly diagnosed.

Hi all, 

Today I was diagnosed with Autism and I'm wondering is there any support or books out there that I can help my husband understand how I feel. 

it's been a huge relief for me, as we always new something was wrong, me and my mum cried when he said it, I'm 31 and struggled with mental health since late primary school. 

I am dreading how I can explain how I feel to people as I struggle with that deeply! 
Any help is an appreciated! 

Alice 

• Congratulations on receiving your diagnosis.Hopefully,you will now be able to make greater sense of all your experiences.

When I was first diagnosed 3 years ago,I read "An adult with an autism diagnosis"by Gillan Drew.This is a really hopeful book for yourself and family etc.

I hope you begin to find your way and enjoy life to the full.

Best wishes and Good Luck.

• Thank you everyone! 

It's been life changing a lot happy tears to finally have some answers! Hearts

• Thank you I've been watching Sarah Hendrickx videos! 

found them really fascinating it's been a huge life changing day! 

• Congratulations on your diagnosis.

• Hi Alice - sorry - no book recommendations from me either but I just wanted to congratulate you on your diagnosis. Having that understanding of why we are how we are is just so liberating. 

Netty

• Hi Alice! I don't have any recommendations I'm afraid, but just wanted to say a big hello and welcome. 

I am sure you will find lots of interesting and relevant topics on here to get involved with. See ya around :) 

• Hi Alice! Congratulations on your diagnosis, you must be glad to have an answer even if explaining it to others still feels like a challenge.

I found the following books helpful as an autistic person but they're very accessible and would probably help a partner to understand:

• Unmasking Autism by Devon Price
    • Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Sarah Hendrickx
    • Different, Not Less by Chloe Hayden- this last one is aimed at very young women and adolescent girls really but it was a lovely explanation of autistic girlhood that resonated with me a lot