Assessment with mental health team in the hope of an autism assessment

Hello,

tomorrow i have an assessment with a mental health team to assess whether or not I would be suitable for

being referred outwith the region for an autism assessment. At the moment Dumfries and Galloway is the only region

in Scotland that doesn't assess for autism, so any people have to be referred outside of the region.

This puts additional stress on not just the mental health assessment, but also trying to put across the importance of

the need for an autism diagnosis. I have written notes about my mental health in general, highlighting the issues

i'm most concerned about and also why i feel i need help with what i feel is autism. Another mental health nurse 

referred me to this team (she now works elsewhere in the region) so i think they know that she has made notes that

she felt that i was likely to be on the autistic spectrum. 

I realise that this is only a tiny step and may not go anywhere. Have been feeling calm for a few weeks, but today I

am making sure i am not having too much caffine! Have booked a taxi to make sure i get to the appointment in time.

Normally i would take the bus, but can't rely on that. I know i will be facing more than one person, possibly two. Thankfully

it is at my local doctors surgery so I am familiar with the building and don't feel so stressed in that way. I have to keep 

reminding myself that this is not an autism assessment, but they will look for signs of possible autism and i have to 

convince them this this is the best way forward to help me. It is so frustrating! Anyone else been in this position ........

sorry what a daft question! Of course people have! Today is a day where a million and one daft things will go through

my head! Roll on tomorrow morning......

Parents Reply Children
No Data