Scared to Work

I've been offered a fantastic opportunity to work with a children's nursery which also offers training so that before long I'll be on a £20,000 per year salary which wouldn't go amiss in these expensive times. 

I'd love to work but my anxiety is railing me. I'm terrified of getting sick with a stomach bug and I've spent the last 10 years hiding away so I don't get a sick bug. In those 10 years I've vomited once and that was because of acid reflux from bad anxiety. 

God I am scared stiff of getting a stomach bug!!! I can't begin to say how much going to work and getting sick scares me! 

But times are hard. My family and I need the money if I don't go to work things will be tough. And I've got the job I just need to go in over a month's time. 

But my immune system is already poor. I get colds all the time and always tired and working with 3-5 year olds I'm bound to get sick probably quickly. 

I wish I wasn't so scared of being sick. But I am it's my biggest fear! 

I want to work but I'm scared I don't know what to do to get over this. 

Parents
  • But my immune system is already poor. I get colds all the time and always tired and working with 3-5 year olds I'm bound to get sick probably quickly. 

Do you have a very poor quality diet by any chance? This is the key to building up a healthier immune system and oddly enough, working with those little germ ridden monsters we call children should give you exposure to lots of bugs so your immune system can build up a good immunity to them as time goes on.

If you have special needs around food then I recommend (in my non professional opinion only) that you speak to a nutritionist to build up a diet which helps nourish you and keep you healthy but does not trigger any food issues.

From what you say about the job it sounds awesome for you, so please don't let a fear of getting ill make you a prisoner in your own home.

In your situation I would use some of my income to hire a therapist to work through your fears and anxieties as well as keeping in touch with your nutritionist to improve your life.

Fears can be overcome - just make sure your therapist has experience of autism and our anxieties so they treat you in a way that allows for this.

Take that first step and tackle the fears with the help of a professional. I think it would be worth it.

Disclamer - this isn't offered as advice, you should consult with health professionals before following the advice of a random you met on the internet.

• But my immune system is already poor. I get colds all the time and always tired and working with 3-5 year olds I'm bound to get sick probably quickly. 

Do you have a very poor quality diet by any chance? This is the key to building up a healthier immune system and oddly enough, working with those little germ ridden monsters we call children should give you exposure to lots of bugs so your immune system can build up a good immunity to them as time goes on.

If you have special needs around food then I recommend (in my non professional opinion only) that you speak to a nutritionist to build up a diet which helps nourish you and keep you healthy but does not trigger any food issues.

From what you say about the job it sounds awesome for you, so please don't let a fear of getting ill make you a prisoner in your own home.

In your situation I would use some of my income to hire a therapist to work through your fears and anxieties as well as keeping in touch with your nutritionist to improve your life.

Fears can be overcome - just make sure your therapist has experience of autism and our anxieties so they treat you in a way that allows for this.

Take that first step and tackle the fears with the help of a professional. I think it would be worth it.

Disclamer - this isn't offered as advice, you should consult with health professionals before following the advice of a random you met on the internet.

Children
  • First year you will be I'll all the time, but after that you will build up resistance like all nursery workers.

It's an amazing job, the kiddies are beautiful, you will have a happy life starting there I can feel it Slight smile Good luck