Work related Anxiety

Hi,

I have only realised that I am on the autism spectrum later in life as an adult (I am 56) and realising that there maybe ways I could help myself when I feel overwhlemed with things that happen in the worlplace.

When I make a mistake at work I feel as if it is the end of the world and struggle to concentrate on anything else until it has been sorted. Until it has been respolved I feel like a fraud when I meet with anyone who doesn't know the situation and that I am pretending that everything is okay.

Does anyone else know how this feels and do you have any suggestions for why I might feel like this, and how to change what I am feeling or cope with it? My recent mistake has been firmly but politely pointed out via a message, and noone is shouting at me or getting angry, but this strength of internal response is how I usually feel to any mistake.

Thank you,

Yasmin

Parents
  • Hi Yasmin, 

I too am very, very hard on myself if I make a mistake. I feel extremely stupid and very guilty. 

In my company we each have a 'How to Work Wih Me' document that are saved in a public folder. This way we can read up on someones communication/feedback styles when we work with them. I'd say this is really beneficial and could be a good thing to include at your work. Maybe the message they sent you about your mistake could have been worded or approached differently to make sure you took it in the best way possible? 

Just an idea. Chin up!

• Thank you - I have heard about this kind of working document so good to know they are useful.

Best Wishes,

Yasmin

Reply Children
No Data