nail biting

i have been biting my nails since i was a child (i’m now 20) and am fairly sure i do it as a form of stimming/self soothing, it’s bad to the point that if i go to bite my nails and there isn’t anything to get a hold of i get frustrated, upset, and distressed.

i’ve found that using a tangle to keep my hands busy works most of the time as i don’t really like to have stubby bitten down nails but recently even redirecting myself doesn’t stop me … i’m very aware that it’s gross and not exactly pleasant but i’m not sure what else i can do to try and stop myself. 

wondering whether it’s less of a hands thing and more of a chewing/biting stim? not sure if that makes any sense.

is anyone else a chronic nail biter due to autism … is this a common thing? 

• I'm a nail biter. I think mine is caused by chronic anxiety. Biting my nails is my reaction to stress. I bite my lips, as well. 

• Is this what you have as well?

Well, until I read this, I hadn't heard of it.

I've discovered over the last few years that a lot of the things I do have names, and I reckon this is one of them!

Thanks.

• I bit my finger nails all the time when I was a child, they would get very sore. My mother would threaten to put my fingers in mustard. When I started work as a trainee mechanic I stopped. There was always grease or oil under them which a found distasteful. I do bite the skin off my lips often until they bleed.

• I do this as well Debbie. I've got Dermatophagia. My fingers and hands are sore most of the time and unsightly now. Is this what you have as well?

• I bit my nails for years, right up until I was about 25. I still pick at (and occasionally bite) the skin around them.

Ultimately I found that painting them helped because if I did give in and bite them I just got a mouthful of nail polish chips and so the satisfaction of nail-biting was gone. Perhaps not a solution for everyone but it did work for me! It was definitely a sensation/stim thing for me, looking back, so perhaps it is an autistic thing (for some of us, at least).

• Yes, I've bitten my nails and skin around my nails (until it bleeds) all my life, from a very young age.

• I do this as well and I'm sure it's definitely an autism thing. I started of biting my fingers and hands as a young child which I'm pretty sure was an unhealthy stim. I still do this now except I also bite my nails which I'm pretty sure is caused by anxiety now as it started when I was at school and stressed because of the work. I still bite my fingers and hands as well which has caused a lot of skin issues for me. I'm sure it is all autism related though.

• Hi Elliot

I'm 62 and I've been a nail biter all my life. I was having a good chew just before I saw your post. If my nails get too bitten down to chew on then I pick at the skin. I'm very newly diagnosed with autism and hadn't even realised it was a form of stimming until just recently. Even using those nasty tasting liquids that you paint onto your nails haven't deterred me.  It's an interesting question you pose. A hands thing or a chewing biting thing? I don't know the answer. Nail biting is quite a common stim on my family group though.