Binge eating

Hi all. Can anyone tell me if binge eating is an autistic trait? I had a knee injury a few years ago and as a result of not being able to exercise I got a bit down, started eating a lot of crap, and my weight ballooned. Prior to this I was always in pretty good shape. I have in the last 7 months managed to lose 11 kilos, mainly because I felt so tired and lethargic all the time carrying the extra bulk. I did it by going on the keto diet which has worked well as I never seem to be hungry on it and I find it easy to be disciplined during the week. The downside of keto is that carbohydrates are severely restricted, and come the weekend I get this overwhelming urge to eat carbs. You could argue that it's just my body craving what I'm denying it but I have a feeling it's more to do with routine. Friday comes, I finish work early, on my way home I stop at a supermarket to buy myself a little treat because I've worked hard all week, then the minute I get inside the store I just fill my basket with a ridiculous amount of junk food (not all carbs I hasten to add). I sit watching TV on a Friday night stuffing myself until I almost feel sick because I bought way too much. I never leave any of the food for another day because my brain tells me I'm only allowed that one day to have treats. I hate food waste so I never throw any of it away. It's a cycle I've tried to break countless times, and to be fair to myself I am still losing weight despite my single day of gorging, but if I manage to deny myself on a Friday it just seems to roll over to a Saturday instead. If I try to limit myself to say just a bag of crisps, or a chocolate bar I get in a foul mood once I've eaten it because I always wish I'd got more and feel cheated. Anyone else relate?

Parents
  • My eating patterns are considered very odd.  I eat when I am hungry, and don't if I am not.   I can binge eat anything, if I am hungry.  I am often hungry...so I OFTEN binge eat!  I try to surround myself with available apples, bananas and nuts .... but Haribo, posh chocolate cookies, cured meats, cheeses, toast can all be readily boshed away in a shark feeding frenzy.  That said, I often go 12 hours without any food during the day.

Thankfully, I seem able to maintain a pretty consistent and healthy weight and shape despite my weird and highly variable eating habits.  Unfortunately, my teeth do seem to struggle though.

• Oh my days, you have pretty much listed all the things I choose when I decide to binge. Basically sugar, fat, and carbs. If you over indulge do you ever feel remorse afterwards? I hate myself for eating so much crap then go right ahead and do it again the following weekend. 

• No, I don't feel any remorse to my behaviour in this regard.  I think it is weird.....but I'm coming to terms with the fact that this phrase applies to me holistically.  So long as my bodily functions are sound and proper, that my weight and energy levels are at what I consider to be "good"....then I'm just keeping on, keeping on.

• No, I don't feel any remorse to my behaviour in this regard.  I think it is weird.....but I'm coming to terms with the fact that this phrase applies to me holistically.  So long as my bodily functions are sound and proper, that my weight and energy levels are at what I consider to be "good"....then I'm just keeping on, keeping on.

Children
No Data