Hair - a sensory nightmare

I'm a 35 yr old female with long, wavy hair. 

I keep it tied up 100% of the time, day and night and really struggle to get around to washing it (actually, washing is a whole nightmare, but I won't go into that here). 

I don't like it dangling about in my face or being caught up in clothes, I hate it getting in the way while I sleep. Do we think I should just chop it all off? 

Do any other ladies or others with long hair know how I feel? It is sort of part of my identity, I've always had long hair and have gotten lots of compliments on it, but maybe it is time for radical change? 

Thanks for reading :) 

Parents
  • One of my friends has had a short pixie cut for years, she absolutely can’t stand her hair touching her face or neck. Sometimes I think about cutting my hair really short but whenever I’ve gone long bob or shoulder length before I’ve always wanted it long again straight away so I’m not sure it would be a good idea for me! I think maybe like you I use it as a bit of identity, I think I’d look like my brother if I cut it really short so want to have something feminine about myself as I rarely were make up. It does get on my nerves sometimes but doesn’t cause me major sensory issues. If I’d got furloughed during covid I would’ve done a buzzcut and then hide away if I didn’t like it, but I still had to work full time

• If I’d got furloughed during covid I would’ve done a buzzcut and then hide away if I didn’t like it, but I still had to work full time

Why would you want to hide it? I'm genuinely curious as to why?

• It’s probably the female requirement to conform with society or look a certain way,  if I thought it looked horrible for whatever reason I would’ve put on a hat or a bandana or something. I would still have had to go and do the shopping or whatever if I didn’t have to work at that time

• It’s probably the female requirement to conform with society or look a certain way,  if I thought it looked horrible for whatever reason I would’ve put on a hat or a bandana or something. I would still have had to go and do the shopping or whatever if I didn’t have to work at that time

Children
  • the female requirement to conform with society or look a certain way

That is there for you to do the opposite. 

I don't like long hair and I have never had it.  I cut my hair myself with clippers.  I have some with relatively long settings  - 42mm.  I tidy around my ears with scissors.  I don't find it difficult to wash in the shower.

• I think it's more of a general human thing. Sometimes I get curious about what it would look like if I just put my hair in a ponytail and cut that off with a razor. If I was on a desert island, I would've done it, but the fact that people would see me if it looked terrible puts me off. Very few people are immune from that societal pressure to look good (or at least acceptable) to others.