Hair - a sensory nightmare

I'm a 35 yr old female with long, wavy hair. 

I keep it tied up 100% of the time, day and night and really struggle to get around to washing it (actually, washing is a whole nightmare, but I won't go into that here). 

I don't like it dangling about in my face or being caught up in clothes, I hate it getting in the way while I sleep. Do we think I should just chop it all off? 

Do any other ladies or others with long hair know how I feel? It is sort of part of my identity, I've always had long hair and have gotten lots of compliments on it, but maybe it is time for radical change? 

Thanks for reading :) 

Parents
  • About 3 years ago I could sit on my hair when it was down. But it never was. Like you I had it up always. In my case in a bun and then underneath a buff (a type of headscarf) to prevent it from coming loose as easily. 

It was a nightmare to wash, airdrying could take up to 48 hours and I hate the noise of hairdryers. I could never stand it in my face, I wore it down about twice over the course of 2 years.

And then when hairdressers opened up after lockdown I got it all cut off. Short short, not a bob. I donated over 19 inches to the little princess charity. 

I've never bounced out of a hairdressers with as much excitement as I did that day. It felt like I was floating, and I've kept it short ever since. It's actually helped my relationship with showers a bit, although that's still a work in progress. My hair is considerably darker than it used to be because of all the time it spent under a headscarf. I have never regretted getting it cut.

But my hair was less of an identity thing than you seem to have with it.

I'd suggest thinking about things like donating it because it always feels a little weird throwing away that much hair when it can be really useful (Canada has studios that repurpose it into mats that soak up oil spills as human hair is one of the best substances for doing so).

• About 3 years ago I could sit on my hair when it was down. But it never was. Like you I had it up always. In my case in a bun and then underneath a buff (a type of headscarf) to prevent it from coming loose as easily. 

It was a nightmare to wash, airdrying could take up to 48 hours and I hate the noise of hairdryers. I could never stand it in my face, I wore it down about twice over the course of 2 years.

And then when hairdressers opened up after lockdown I got it all cut off. Short short, not a bob. I donated over 19 inches to the little princess charity. 

I've never bounced out of a hairdressers with as much excitement as I did that day. It felt like I was floating, and I've kept it short ever since. It's actually helped my relationship with showers a bit, although that's still a work in progress. My hair is considerably darker than it used to be because of all the time it spent under a headscarf. I have never regretted getting it cut.

But my hair was less of an identity thing than you seem to have with it.

I'd suggest thinking about things like donating it because it always feels a little weird throwing away that much hair when it can be really useful (Canada has studios that repurpose it into mats that soak up oil spills as human hair is one of the best substances for doing so).

Children
No Data