Help for an adult with recent ASD diagnosis

Hi

I am a therapist working with a 22-year-old man who had an ASD and ADHD diagnosis in the last year. I am working to help him understand what these mean for his experience and how he views his difficulties in life, both past and present. We both feel it would be helpful to find him another autistic adult to talk to about his experience, who may be able to normalise his situation and offer advice on how to be more open about the assistance he needs to ask for at work, someone who has similar experiences. My client has a full time job and gets involved in community projects, so may need to talk in the evening.

If there is anyone who may be able to help, we would be very grateful.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi , thank you for reaching out to the online community. Perhaps a way to achieve this would be to encourage this young man to join the community so he can talk about his experience with other members who are going/have gone through similar experiences.

You may want to use our Autism Services Directory to search for potential social groups in their area that cater for autistic people. You can find the Directory here: https://www.autism.org.uk/directory 

Best wishes,

Anna Mod

• This would be great in theory, but my client suffers from social anxiety and is still in the process of accepting that his ASD diagnosis will impact his life. I can ask him to join, but he may need, at first, a little more support from someone in the real world, even if just a 20-minute phone call.

• This would be great in theory, but my client suffers from social anxiety and is still in the process of accepting that his ASD diagnosis will impact his life. I can ask him to join, but he may need, at first, a little more support from someone in the real world, even if just a 20-minute phone call.

Children
No Data