Autism Diagnosis for Adults in Scotland

Hello everyone!

I only recently (about a year ago) found out I may be Autistic (very highly likely) and I went to my doctors to get a referral so I could finally stop invalidating my own feelings on whether or not I am Autistic, and he said they could not do it because they don't have the facilities. He then fobbed me off to the mental health nurse for Anxiety (typical as I am a woman), and when I spoke to her she was adamant that I should contact the National Autistic Society because she is certain I am Autistic. There seems to be no diagnosis facilities either in my area or in Scotland as a whole unless I go private which I cannot afford to do. I have looked up how easy it is to get diagnosed just over the border in Carlisle where I used to stay and I could get an appointment asap but only if I lived there. I am in desperate need of some advice on where I can go or what I can do to get a diagnosis in Scotland (I can specify where I live but would rather do that privately for obvious reasons) because I am at a loss. I need it in order to validate my own feelings, for PIP so I have valid proof and for volunteering and my uni courses so I can actually get the support I need. Any advice is helpful, and I am super grateful for the help. 

Autumn (Forestfairy) 

Parents
  • Hi,

Not sure where you are in Scotland but you can self refer if in Grampian (google 'Adult Autism Assessment Team NHS Grampian' and you will get a link, i believe its around 2 years wait though.

University in Scotland and other Scottish public bodies are supposed to treat people who are waiting for diagnosis as if they have Autism.

Unfortunately there is very little after diagnosis support in Scotland, Autism Understanding Scotland were supplying Support groups but again that's only available in Aberdeen, City & Shire, Moray + Shetland

• Hi, 

I'm in the south west (Dumfries and Galloway area) so a little too far from there unfortunately, but I appreciate the help!

It seems like Scotland is lagging behind in any support and diagnosis facilities compared to England, all my friends got their diagnosis with ease in Cumbria and I just feel like I'm being fobbed off by every GP I try to talk to about it Disappointed 

I understand the public bodies having to treat people waiting for their diagnosis as if they have Autism, but they asked for proof before giving support and since I don't have any, it's sort of out of their and my hands. It sucks because if I do need extra support on my course, I am going to lag behind because I can't get proof since my GP is terrible! 

Hopefully I can find somewhere that will do it eventually Sweat

• Look for a Raads R or ASQ 50 test online, if your score is high enough for follow up screen grab the results and send by econsult or discuss with your GP or student disabilities as its unlikely they will go against a positive screening test. In Scotland the  focus is on children being diagnosed, my daughter was referred by her School and was seen very quickly, I had to go through the Psychologist route first to get a referral letter, but I was seen quickly once I recieved my referral as I had private medical insurance through work.

I know we are on a National Autism Society forum so maybe wrong to say this but the Scottish Government focus and funding for Autism support is foccused only on charities run by Autistic people and not NAS so maybe worth checking if you have a local Autitism charity who can advise you better i know that Auscot cover grampian and there is similar for Lothian and Highland so would be surprised if there was not one in dumfries and galloway or possibly try Ayrshire.

• I mean re referred 

• Oh lord. I'm in north Ayrshire and plan on seeing my GP for a referral. Just getting all my info together. We're you referred?

• I'm in North Ayrshire and my experience, after being referred by my GP, was very poor. He sent his letter on the Monday and by Wednesday morning I had received a rejection letter by post from the centre he referred me to. I had given my GP my printed test results from the AQ50, Aspie quiz, CAT Q, etc. All these tests has shown a high score. In addition I'd written 2 pages summarising my life history and issues. They rejected me so fast that I doubt they had bothered to read anything. They stated a lack of suicidal feelings and other extreme problems as the reason. Nobody signed this letter. It looks like they have a policy of automatic refusal.

• I'm in North Ayrshire and my experience, after being referred by my GP, was very poor. He sent his letter on the Monday and by Wednesday morning I had received a rejection letter by post from the centre he referred me to. I had given my GP my printed test results from the AQ50, Aspie quiz, CAT Q, etc. All these tests has shown a high score. In addition I'd written 2 pages summarising my life history and issues. They rejected me so fast that I doubt they had bothered to read anything. They stated a lack of suicidal feelings and other extreme problems as the reason. Nobody signed this letter. It looks like they have a policy of automatic refusal.

Children