Autism Diagnosis for Adults in Scotland

Hello everyone!

I only recently (about a year ago) found out I may be Autistic (very highly likely) and I went to my doctors to get a referral so I could finally stop invalidating my own feelings on whether or not I am Autistic, and he said they could not do it because they don't have the facilities. He then fobbed me off to the mental health nurse for Anxiety (typical as I am a woman), and when I spoke to her she was adamant that I should contact the National Autistic Society because she is certain I am Autistic. There seems to be no diagnosis facilities either in my area or in Scotland as a whole unless I go private which I cannot afford to do. I have looked up how easy it is to get diagnosed just over the border in Carlisle where I used to stay and I could get an appointment asap but only if I lived there. I am in desperate need of some advice on where I can go or what I can do to get a diagnosis in Scotland (I can specify where I live but would rather do that privately for obvious reasons) because I am at a loss. I need it in order to validate my own feelings, for PIP so I have valid proof and for volunteering and my uni courses so I can actually get the support I need. Any advice is helpful, and I am super grateful for the help. 

Autumn (Forestfairy) 

Parents
  • I have just been through the process with Falkirk council, I spoke to my GP on the phone, and I had all the reasons for my suspicions on a list, afterward he made an appointment for me with the practice mental health nurse, she listened to what I had to say, gave me two self-diagnostic tests away to complete and hand in. On the second appointment, she said I think you have ASD and will refer you to the adult ASD team, I've since had a letter confirming im now on the waiting list for diagnosis. Personally id go back to the mental health nurse and ask her for a referral.

• I have just been through the process with Falkirk council, I spoke to my GP on the phone, and I had all the reasons for my suspicions on a list, afterward he made an appointment for me with the practice mental health nurse, she listened to what I had to say, gave me two self-diagnostic tests away to complete and hand in. On the second appointment, she said I think you have ASD and will refer you to the adult ASD team, I've since had a letter confirming im now on the waiting list for diagnosis. Personally id go back to the mental health nurse and ask her for a referral.

Children
No Data