Can anyone support me with my PIP upper tribunal appeal?

Hi everyone, 

Can anyone support me with my PIP upper tribunal appeal, or do you know of anyone who can represent me or advocate for me?

I'm currently at the point of applying to the upper tribunal because I've been discriminated against throughout the whole process. To summarise, it seems that because I am a high achiever and attending university, I am therefore capable of all the PIP activities. My tribunal panel said that I do not struggle cognitively because of my academic record, but the cognitive element is a crucial part of understanding autism. That's only a small part of where they have erred in law and been incorrect in their findings.

I struggle a lot, not just with being with autistic but other conditions too, and I am at desperation point looking for help.

I've tried citizens advice, scope, etc, and they have been great but are unable to help me any further now that my application has gone to the upper tribunal. There are no advocacy services I have been able to find in my area, and I can't afford to pay legal fees but don't qualify for legal aid. It just seems to be really hard to find someone to advocate for me or represent me, which is what I need now that I'm at the upper tribunal stage. 

I'm doing what I can to find relevant case law and back up my case, but I really need some help. 

Has anyone been through this process before, and have any advice? Even if you haven't been to the upper tribunal for PIP, do you have any advice on how I explain autism so that I am understood? Especially in a way that relates to the PIP descriptors? I just seem to be discriminated against because I am "clever" (their words).

Is anyone able to provide some insight into who can provide / where I can find advocacy or representation? 

Anything you are able to share would be massively appreciated - everything is helpful at this point. 

Thank you

Parents
  • If you are comfortable sharing more detail on what level of PIP you are looking for and what aspects of PIP you feel should apply to you it would help me to understand the problem more.

• I think I would qualify for enhanced daily living and maybe standard mobility, but even if I were to just get standard daily living it's better than nothing. 

I think all the activities apply to me, apart from daily living 5 (managing toilet needs or incontinence). Some activities are easier to evidence than others, for example I was told by my first tier tribunal panel that if I can understand the phrase "the cat sat on the mat" then I do not qualify for either daily living activity 7 communicating verbally or daily living activity 8 reading and understanding. Another one that is hard to evidence thoroughly is mobility activity 2, moving around, as one of my conditions consistently fluctuates and I was told by the first tier tribunal that if I haven't fallen to the ground then I don't qualify (but that's because when I would fall to the ground, I don't move or if I do I need assistance)

let me know if you'd like any more information

• this sounds very complex. without knowing all of the details it's hard to advise.

I have read a lot of the material that accompanies the form and think I have a fairly good understanding of it. 

If you were happy to share your application with me privately I would happily take a look and give you my options and suggestions. 

• Add me as a friend and then use the 'connect' option to send a message

• how do i send a private message?

• If you can send me a private message we could arrange for you to send me a copy the application form

Reply Children