Autism, driving, PIP and the Motability scheme

Hello, 

I was wondering whether anyone can share their experiences or advice on this topic?

I began learning to drive in 2020 partly under the instruction of an SEN instructor but mainly under the instruction of my mum because COVID-19 restrictions meant driving lessons were irregular. After 3 attempts, I finally passed my driving test in 2022. 

I am also in receipt of Personal Independence Payment. I previously received the standard mobility rate for the criteria that I cannot follow an unfamiliar journey without another person, an assistance dog, or orientation aid. Me and my mum, who acts as my appointee, challenged this as we felt that this was not the correct criteria for which I fell into. We took the issue to a tribunal in 2021 where we successfully obtained the criteria that I cannot follow a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or orientation aid, and this criteria entitled me to the enhanced rate of PIP for mobility and meant I'm entitled to the Motability scheme. I ordered a car on the scheme just a month before I passed my driving test and the car is now at the dealership where I shall soon be able to pick it up. 

One thing that occurred to us is whether I will continue to fit the PIP criteria if I'm able to drive to places independently. I haven't been able to drive regularly since January due to my insurance expiring in my mum's car and it was too expensive to renew, so I will be accompanied whilst driving once I've picked up my car, for now at least, so I can get used to driving again. But if I'm capable of driving on my own/independently, will I still fit the PIP criteria and therefore, will I still qualify for a Motability car? It seems ridiculous that something that is supporting me, i.e. a Motability vehicle, could be removed if I become too independent, but without a car, I'm back to where I was before, not being able to do aa journey without someone else. I'm unable to use public transport, and on the rare occasions I need to use it, I'm always accompanied, and I also struggle with carrying out journeys on foot. Being in a car is easier because there is much less social interaction, and the sensory stimulus is reduced, I'm in control of the sensory stimulus in an enclosed space like a car. Also unlike public transport, I don't have to worry about making too many changes, for example public transport can't always lead you directly to your destination without you having to swap to another service or train line for instance, whereas in a car, I'm in control and I will constantly be in the car. 

I don't know whether the DWP would understand/appreciate this situation/position or be willing to listen to my perspective on this, but we don't want to mislead people/the authorities or be claiming something we shouldn't be. 

It feels really important to me that I can drive because it's a massive thing for my independence. I'd like to be able to do stuff on my own when I can and even if those who support me insist I'm not a burden when asking if they can drive me places or accompany me, I will still feel like a burden. 

I was wondering if anyone had been through a similar dilemma and if so, what they did in this situation?

Thank you. 

Parents
  • How long has your PIP allowance been awarded for? 

• I've been in receipt of PIP since around 2018, but I only began receiving the enhanced rate for the mobility component in 2021. I believe it's supposed to be up for review in possibly 2031, or roughly 10 years I think. 

• I think that means that they don't expect your needs to change for that long then. You could check with Citizens Advice for free if you're worried, or with Motability directly if you're concerned. The way I understand it is that the Motability is awarded on your PIP assessment, so if they don't expect your circumstances to change for 10 years (which is the maximum awarded, so acknowledging that your condition is lifelong) then that's what the decision is based on. I think you're overthinking it. It's awarded on your ability to cope without aid, not your ability to cope when you have aid, otherwise it would be pointless - it would be like funding the use of a wheelchair because someone can't get around without one, then taking it away because they can get around so they don't need it, if that makes sense? 

• I think that means that they don't expect your needs to change for that long then. You could check with Citizens Advice for free if you're worried, or with Motability directly if you're concerned. The way I understand it is that the Motability is awarded on your PIP assessment, so if they don't expect your circumstances to change for 10 years (which is the maximum awarded, so acknowledging that your condition is lifelong) then that's what the decision is based on. I think you're overthinking it. It's awarded on your ability to cope without aid, not your ability to cope when you have aid, otherwise it would be pointless - it would be like funding the use of a wheelchair because someone can't get around without one, then taking it away because they can get around so they don't need it, if that makes sense? 

Children