Life is hard

I find life as an adult on the spectrum extremely difficult.

It doesn't help that there's no support for adults. Go for support and then they set mental health services on you.

I wish there was proper support out there for autism.

I wish life was easier.

Parents
  • Does anyone have suggestions for quiet places to meet?  Coffee shops tend to be where people are, for obvious reasons ... where else would be a quiet but safe place for autisic people to meet?

• Churches often have open days / community meet ups that are quite pleasant.

There is a religeous overtone to some of these but many are really quite pleasant and you can get to have a look around some old churches with amazing architecture sometimes.

• "There is a religious overtone to some of these "

The frigging well should be!! Otherwise it's not a functioning church, it's something else..

Reply Children
  • As a Jew, I wish not to express over/under tones of my beliefs on anyone and would feel uncomfortable doing so. Conversely, I would equally feel uncomfortable  in a social engagement within a church or mosque.

• Sounds like a good church... 

• The frigging well should be!! Otherwise it's not a functioning church, it's something else..

The local one for me was mid weel community events when it was really to get people together and acting like a community again after spendig so much time cowering indoors away from covid.

There was no hard sell on joining the church, believing in God or contributing to the church roof fund - just an excuse for the community to regenerate with the church acting as the catalyst.

There were interesting conversations with the pastor as I'm an athiest and opposed to organised religion as a principle (I'm fine with people having faith, but organised religion has historically been used to keep the masses in check).

The discussions about proof and faith were engaging, enthusiastic and well mannered and I loved the chat. I'll certainly be back when I'm next in the UK.