ASD Assessment + Childhood Chronic Pain = ??

Hi all,

First post here and I'm looking to see if anyone has run into a similar situation to mine in the assessment process.

Had my interviews a month or so ago and recieved the assessment letter this week. I'm pretty confused by the write up really.

The 1st interviewer says I fit the criteria. The second interviewer says It's not possible to reach a diagnosis due to chronic pain since childhood (i'm mid 40's now).
My reading of this, and my partner's is that  by logic alone it's difficult and unlikely to be diagnosed with ASD if you have chronic childhood pain.
So the diagnosis summary says No.

My brain has slipped into a freeze state, errr. i honestly don't know what to do with this. It's neither of the outcomes I had anticipated.
I really thought i'd get a Yes or No, lol. I'm laughing but it's also comically not funny.

I guess i could ask for a second opinion on this, or walk away and make my own decision.
I don't really know why but i think i want some kind of validation if it's likely, Not sure what to do atm.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for reading,

Paul

Parents
  • To me the response is a positive of autism, because one assessor has said that you are autistic, and the other has not said that you are not autistic, so their assessment is null or indeterminate, rather than negative. Therefore, logically, you have an overall positive assessment.

• Thanks Martin - I'm inclined to agree. I've also dived so deeply into this topic since it came up as a potential thing that I'm at my most convinced state so far, after initially going through quite a range of imposter type thoughts it's making a lot of sense. Eitherway I'm coming to the conclusion that looking through an autistic lense will help me understand myself better

• I think most people diagnosed with ASD, who have had years of coping behind them, feel like imposters from time to time. It is partly because there are always people who are, or appear to be, worse affected than oneself. If there is no better explanation of how you are available than autism, then you are most probably autistic.

• I think most people diagnosed with ASD, who have had years of coping behind them, feel like imposters from time to time. It is partly because there are always people who are, or appear to be, worse affected than oneself. If there is no better explanation of how you are available than autism, then you are most probably autistic.

Children
No Data