CBT has it help you

Hi All,
My partner has asd and as you know getting a diagnosis can take bloody years. We already do loads of things to help her life work.
But I am interested if anyone has used cbt [Cognitive behavioral therapy] as a tool to help self manage there asd

I am very interested to hear from anyone that has used it on how it has helped them [if it did?]

Many thanks

Parents
  • I have generalised anxiety disorder as well as (and probably because of) being autistic. I've found that CBT can be quite helpful for the anxiety, when the things I'm anxious about aren't realistic. When the source of anxiety or the thought pattern is an autism thing, it doesn't work at all.

I'm seeing a therapist at the moment who says that she won't use CBT for things like dealing with prejudice, because anxiety about that is justified. She also won't use it for people who want help managing their autism and/or ADHD, because CBT is meant to fix incorrect thought patterns, and the implication of using it for ND individuals would be that their neurology is inherently in need of fixing- which it isn't.

I think if there's a comorbid anxiety disorder or depression then CBT can help with that, but tbh I feel that changing your life to be more autism-friendly is a better solution for reducing the anxiety that comes with things like sensory overload.

• I have generalised anxiety disorder as well as (and probably because of) being autistic. I've found that CBT can be quite helpful for the anxiety, when the things I'm anxious about aren't realistic. When the source of anxiety or the thought pattern is an autism thing, it doesn't work at all.

I'm seeing a therapist at the moment who says that she won't use CBT for things like dealing with prejudice, because anxiety about that is justified. She also won't use it for people who want help managing their autism and/or ADHD, because CBT is meant to fix incorrect thought patterns, and the implication of using it for ND individuals would be that their neurology is inherently in need of fixing- which it isn't.

I think if there's a comorbid anxiety disorder or depression then CBT can help with that, but tbh I feel that changing your life to be more autism-friendly is a better solution for reducing the anxiety that comes with things like sensory overload.

Children
No Data