CBT has it help you

Hi All,
My partner has asd and as you know getting a diagnosis can take bloody years. We already do loads of things to help her life work.
But I am interested if anyone has used cbt [Cognitive behavioral therapy] as a tool to help self manage there asd

I am very interested to hear from anyone that has used it on how it has helped them [if it did?]

Many thanks

Parents
  • To use tabletop gaming terms my autistic anxiety (anxiety innate not attributable to any of the PTSD inducing events or strings thereof) is not actually that high a +1 to all overall anxiety generally, my non-autistic anxiety from other sources was like a +5 modifier. I found CBT ws ok to tackle the extra anxiety sources but wouldn't make a dent in any innate or baseline anxiety, and the CBT had to be massively adjusted and self tailored to my own needs because it was never just as simple as follow what the CBT therapist said. Mostly becaus eteh CBT people are counting on you being not autistsic. I found the exposure therapy part helped, but it had to be really slow and incremental, any jump forwards too much too quick could be a real set back and end up making it like 1 step forward 2 steps back when that happened.

• To use tabletop gaming terms my autistic anxiety (anxiety innate not attributable to any of the PTSD inducing events or strings thereof) is not actually that high a +1 to all overall anxiety generally, my non-autistic anxiety from other sources was like a +5 modifier. I found CBT ws ok to tackle the extra anxiety sources but wouldn't make a dent in any innate or baseline anxiety, and the CBT had to be massively adjusted and self tailored to my own needs because it was never just as simple as follow what the CBT therapist said. Mostly becaus eteh CBT people are counting on you being not autistsic. I found the exposure therapy part helped, but it had to be really slow and incremental, any jump forwards too much too quick could be a real set back and end up making it like 1 step forward 2 steps back when that happened.

Children
No Data