CBT has it help you

Hi All,
My partner has asd and as you know getting a diagnosis can take bloody years. We already do loads of things to help her life work.
But I am interested if anyone has used cbt [Cognitive behavioral therapy] as a tool to help self manage there asd

I am very interested to hear from anyone that has used it on how it has helped them [if it did?]

Many thanks

Parents
  • For ASD absolutely not. For depression which may be related to ASD yes I tried CBT. I felt it had mixed results. I think the most beneficial aspects of it were probably centred around self-care. The CBT helped me put better self-care strategies in place as a coping mechanism. It didn’t really address the root cause of the depression which was social isolation among other things.

I’m not certain but I expect but if you use CBT for similar things might be tangental to autism like anxiety a lot of the benefit is probably going to come through coping strategies. CBT really works best on those individuals who have delusional beliefs or irrational fears. The problems   autistic people struggle with Are usually very real and the potential crisis‘s they face in the future very very likely.

• For ASD absolutely not. For depression which may be related to ASD yes I tried CBT. I felt it had mixed results. I think the most beneficial aspects of it were probably centred around self-care. The CBT helped me put better self-care strategies in place as a coping mechanism. It didn’t really address the root cause of the depression which was social isolation among other things.

I’m not certain but I expect but if you use CBT for similar things might be tangental to autism like anxiety a lot of the benefit is probably going to come through coping strategies. CBT really works best on those individuals who have delusional beliefs or irrational fears. The problems   autistic people struggle with Are usually very real and the potential crisis‘s they face in the future very very likely.

Children
No Data