Alienation

I have three strikes against me in NT UK and the world:

1. I have ASD
  2. I originate in New York City
  3. I am a Jew, but I don't advertise it (unless annonynmously)

I emmigrated as a civilian to the UK in my early twenties and have resided in probably the worst region to gain acceptance---East Anglia, where there were seven U.S. Air Force bases (now four).  Locally I am a social pariah despite having lived here over this extensive time period ( I'm now age 78). It may seem counter intuitve to some but Americans are not socially accepted in East Anglia --- (in my experience or maybe it's just me). East Anglia is probably one of the most conservative regions in the UK, and a Brooklyn born, autistic Yank has a lesser chance of social acceptance than an illegal immigrant! This is despite the fact of having always paid my way on the British economy as a family man and UK taxpayer,  Am I bitter about this?---naaaaa, I'm still clutching onto the straw of hope offered by the NAS and this wonderful forum, not allowing myself to fall into despair!

Parents
  • I don't think these are strikes against you.

East Anglia is pretty conservative I agree and as there is still some ancestral resentment to the Americas there  (from being a colony then breaking away,  not supporting Britain in the wars until it was forced to and in recent decades strong arming international policy onto Britain) but if you are not arrogant in social engagements then I don't think the majority of people would really have an issue with this.

Unless you live in a village that is - small towns lead to small minds in my experience so even if you were just from the next town over you would still be an outsider.

I don't see antisemitism much at all to be fair. There is a fair bit of anti-Israelli sentiment down to their treatment of the Palistinians however and I see people find it hard for some to disentangle the difference between Jewish people and the Israelli state.

That is not an arguement we should go into here I think - but it would probably be wise not to enter into arguements on the subject as it is very polarising.

I've been a stranger is a strange land many times in my life (a Scot in England, a Brit in Germany and a Westerner in Brazil) where I have been seen as someone coming and potentially taking jobs from the locals, even when that was not the case.

I found it best to accept that I am who I am and will never be truly "one of the locals" but treat that as part of my individuality.

Can I ask what you think acceptance looks like from your perspective please?

• I don't think these are strikes against you.

East Anglia is pretty conservative I agree and as there is still some ancestral resentment to the Americas there  (from being a colony then breaking away,  not supporting Britain in the wars until it was forced to and in recent decades strong arming international policy onto Britain) but if you are not arrogant in social engagements then I don't think the majority of people would really have an issue with this.

Unless you live in a village that is - small towns lead to small minds in my experience so even if you were just from the next town over you would still be an outsider.

I don't see antisemitism much at all to be fair. There is a fair bit of anti-Israelli sentiment down to their treatment of the Palistinians however and I see people find it hard for some to disentangle the difference between Jewish people and the Israelli state.

That is not an arguement we should go into here I think - but it would probably be wise not to enter into arguements on the subject as it is very polarising.

I've been a stranger is a strange land many times in my life (a Scot in England, a Brit in Germany and a Westerner in Brazil) where I have been seen as someone coming and potentially taking jobs from the locals, even when that was not the case.

I found it best to accept that I am who I am and will never be truly "one of the locals" but treat that as part of my individuality.

Can I ask what you think acceptance looks like from your perspective please?

Children
No Data