How to read ADOS-2 scores?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Asperger's/ASD/ASC last week. It's a lot to take in. I'm now reading my ADOS-2 (module 4) assessment report and trying to understand where I sit in relation to the four 'areas/categories'(?). I can see my scores and I can see the thresholds and how the outcome was decided/calculated, but I don't understand how to read the scores. Are they comparable? Do the scores below mean that, during the assessment, my autism was primarily expressed through RSI, followed by patterns of behaviour then communication? Or are the categories on different scales and they need to be standardised before being compared? Would calculating a percentage of maximum score standardise them? What is the maximum possible for each area? I can't find any of this information on the internet.

Area Score
Communication 3
Reciprocal social interaction 6
Imagination and creativity 1
Stereotyped patterns of behaviour and restricted interests. 4
Total 14

I have asked the assessor but haven't had a response yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Parents
  • It is only a guide and needs to be used in conjunction with other tests performed for an accurate diagnosis.

Here is an extract from a book I have which may help:

Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifespan Perspective - Donald P. Gallo (2010)
    ISBN: 978-0-470-74924-1

For those not familiar with it, the ADOS is basically a structured interaction with the individual.

The ADOS consists of four modules, one of which is used depending upon the patient’s expressive language ability. Typically, as the patient grows and develops their language more, they move up to a higher module that has more verbal interaction and less playing. The ADOS can be incredibly helpful in some situations, such as when the diagnosis is unclear or when the examiner believes the child is on the spectrum but the parent or the caregiver, for whatever reason, has not provided the history necessary to support such a diagnosis.

A drawback of the ADOS is that it only provides a snapshot of the individual for that period of time during which it is administered.
    If you were to put that child or teen in a semi-structured setting with an adult, it is possible that they would “keep it together” for the 45–60 minutes that the ADOS takes to be administered. This is a reason why the creators of the ADOS note that it is a classification and not a diagnostic tool and should not be used as the sole basis for evaluation.

Clearly as an adult you will have developed masking skills that will make this diagnostic test less clear, so less weight will be placed on the results of it and more on the likes of a RAADS test.

• It is only a guide and needs to be used in conjunction with other tests performed for an accurate diagnosis.

Here is an extract from a book I have which may help:

Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifespan Perspective - Donald P. Gallo (2010)
    ISBN: 978-0-470-74924-1

For those not familiar with it, the ADOS is basically a structured interaction with the individual.

The ADOS consists of four modules, one of which is used depending upon the patient’s expressive language ability. Typically, as the patient grows and develops their language more, they move up to a higher module that has more verbal interaction and less playing. The ADOS can be incredibly helpful in some situations, such as when the diagnosis is unclear or when the examiner believes the child is on the spectrum but the parent or the caregiver, for whatever reason, has not provided the history necessary to support such a diagnosis.

A drawback of the ADOS is that it only provides a snapshot of the individual for that period of time during which it is administered.
    If you were to put that child or teen in a semi-structured setting with an adult, it is possible that they would “keep it together” for the 45–60 minutes that the ADOS takes to be administered. This is a reason why the creators of the ADOS note that it is a classification and not a diagnostic tool and should not be used as the sole basis for evaluation.

Clearly as an adult you will have developed masking skills that will make this diagnostic test less clear, so less weight will be placed on the results of it and more on the likes of a RAADS test.

Children
No Data